Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ROGERS, Ark. - There's a reason Mom says to always have a fresh pair of underwear. The Rogers city attorney learned this week that it's to attract rescue helicopters.

Ben Lipscomb found himself lost in the flooded backwoods of Bayou Meto this week while duck hunting with his Labrador retriever, Josey Wales.

He only managed to make it out by tying his white briefs to the end of his gun barrel and waving them at an Arkansas State Police helicopter.

Decked out in full camouflage hunting gear, Lipscomb was practically invisible as the helicopter made several passes at dusk.

"They had passed over me a couple of times," he told the Morning-News of Northwest Arkansas after he was safe and sound back at his City Hall desk. "I knew I had to do something to get their attention."

Anticipating a cold night in the wilderness, Lipscomb drank dirty bayou water and ate a raw duck breast before he was spotted.

Lipscomb had been in the flooded timberland near Hollowell Reservoir for about 12 hours when he was rescued. He went out with two other men and had already shot a couple of ducks when he and his dog spotted a host of ducks a few hundred yards away. After killing and bagging four of them, he realized he didn't know where the boat was.

"I got turned around. I started walking in the general direction of where I though the boat was, but it wasn't," Lipscomb said. "If it hadn't been for (the police), I would have probably frozen to death out there. It was a real humbling experience."

~~~~~~~~~~

He sure is a weak one, a pansy if you will. Freeze to death in AR when it is 40 out :laughing:
Eating raw duck after 2 hours :eek: what a loser.
:help: Ever hear of a compass?

Figures he is a city boy lawyer... :toofunny:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
H2O...I was going to write about this when I heard this story, but I could not find the details. Like you said...city boy... big time. Ate raw duck? They invented this thing called fire...oh...a few years ago or so. I have heard it works good for cooking things and, I'm told...don't know for sure...but it can keep you warm and maybe even signal with it. Maybe he did not have a lighter or matches...well that is just plain stupid. Still not that hard to make a fire. I wonder if he would have ate his dog the next morning if he had made it through the night.

How far did this guy wander from the boat? Yelling might help, I am going to guess he did this. I would guess he makes enough money to buy some two way radios. Even then, like H2O said first and fore most....compass. I could go on but I won't.

Is there not a way to signal if you are lost by shooting 3 rounds every two seconds? I remember something like this from years ago. I don't recall, but it sounds like people are lost up here in PA every deer season.
But I digress.

I would bet that every hunter here has been lost at least once. So I will cut this guy a little slack. Very little. But this has gave me an idea for a new topic... Survival tips. This might be fun.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
h2o - don't forget: us northerners don't get as cold as fast as those from Dixie. In fact, as a Minnesotan, you could probably take it quite a bit colder than us Pennsylvanians. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like his buddys ditched him. Only one way to get rid of a lawyer...too bad it didn't work :laughing: This all happened in broad daylight? What a wuss. As for eating the raw duck and drinking swamp water..this guy is a 1st class simpleton..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Let's consider what he ate: Raw duck - Salmonella, Parasites - Maybe. Bacteria oh yes! This guy's going to need a cork to hold his liquids in. He's probably still in the hospital having test done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow, u atleast think he could hav gotten his directon by looking at where the sun is setting, besides it would take alot longer, like a couple of days, before i started biting into a raw duck breast, and drinking some nasty water

·
Registered
100 Posts
LOL..was this in National EnLiar..??? Sounds like another case of ambitious reporter to me.... LOL... PS must of been a stupid dog that couldn find his way back too..???? LOL..or did the dog eat the duck??? Or maybe the dog ate his underwear..???? LOL...anyway im laughin.... hehehe

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
What a wuss. It would have to be a couple days before the thought would cross my mind to drink the marsh water or eat raw duck. He just panicked. 40 degrees ain't that cold. I have been out for 15 hours in rain and 40 degree weather. City Boy is right. We have lots of them here. I think I would just let nature take its course. Only the strong survive.

Oh yeah, A lawyer with no cell phone?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have to agree the guy is a big time looser. Probably had the best of the best when it came to gear but when it came to common scence his account was empty. things to take with you on adays hunt and by the way it is the law here to have a lighter or water proof matches, a compass, and a knife on you when entering the woods for any reason. It is always a good idea to take a small first aide/survival kit with you even when you go somewhere familar as accidents do happen. Besides if he went with "friends" wouldn't they have looked for him when he didn't come back? Or maybe that was the plan, take the dummy to the swamp and leave him for the critters.

Keep the sport alive feed the weak of body and mind to the swawp dwellers. Only kidding, teach a kid to hunt and fish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow,
I read this story three times now and still cant stop laughing. What a complete and utter douche bag. I just keep picturing his buddies hiding from him and watching him do all that stupid crap, laughing their balls off when he: 1. drank swamp water, 2. ate a raw duck (hopefully a coot) probably dry heaving the whole time and 3. strip naked in the middle of a swamp and start waving his underware around like a raving lunatic. If he did all that you KNOW he was crying his eyes out...

somebody will get sued before this is all said and done. You know he's not going to take responsibility for anything.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
T'hat's right, bhack - bawlin' like a little girl! LOL! :toofunny: :toofunny: :laughing: Good for him; it ought learn him good fer goin' out agin unprepared.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.