Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been hunting some iced over ponds and been breaking out the ice and the ducks have been comming it great but my 7 yr old lab wont go get the ones that land on the ice instead of the open water where i have broken out the ice so is there anything i can do to break him of this or adn helpful ideas
thanks

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
question #1- Is the ice thick enough for you to walk on? If not, why would you risk losing your dog?

Question #2-Have you trained your dog on ice? Threw bumpers and such for him?

If the ice is safe, train your dog on the ice. throw the duck 5 ft out there, then 10 ft, then just keep working him up to it.

Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ice is not thick enough in most parts but i went out today adn went on a small pond and broke out the whole ponds ice (not very deep pond) adn it was in the corner of a series of ponds so as the ducks would fold up adn fall they would land on the water or in some brush along the edges but i think it would be better hunting over in a big pond but i guess i should hunt were i can get the ducks after downing them but thanks for your time

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wouldnt send my dog on ice i couldnt walk on. My choco male fell threw a farm pond one day when we were shooting trap. He wondered off and tried the ice.. I had to strip down and go in after him....I thought i was going to watch my dog die and thats not a feeling i care to experince again. just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
it got real cold one year. the river even iced up. the river was flowing chunks of ice all the way across. we were on the bank watching ducks go by sitting on the ice. they were plenty close enough to shoot, but we knew if the dog went after them he was a gonner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.