Duck Hunting Forum banner

If you hunt Western CA, please read this and spread the word

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  h2ofwlr 
#1 ·
I would suggest anyone planning on hunting Snows, Honkers, and Ducks in Sask or Alberta send a letter to the Premier of Sask the Honourable Lorne Calvert (premier@gov.sk.ca) and to The Honourable Ralph Klein Premier of Alberta (premier@gov.ab.ca)
The Outfitter Association of Alberta is pushing for all non residents to be guided in their province for all migratory game and a vote will most likely occur this May. If we enjoy hunting there and want to freelance, we need to let them know that we oppose such legislation and will not be traveling to there country to hunt waterfowl if this passes. Be sure to include your full name and address. Remember to be polite and to the point.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This will be the end of freelance hunting if this passes. All I know is that I can not afford the big fees the Guides charge and thus will not be able to hunt these provinces again. I go for under $1,000 for 9 days... many guides charges $300-$500 per day! :shock: They must think we are all rich! :x They think the 15,000 NR hunting will equate to 15k hunters for the guides---NOT! Many like myself will be shut out of waterfowl hunting all together. :evil: And the small communities like I stay at will get NONE of my $ that help support the motel, meals, bird cleaning, gas, etc.. :(

So please take a few minutes to write a courteous letter to the 2 Premiers. Thanks! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi All

Had not heard this was happening---think it could hurt your freedom and our easy over the boarder access.

Will keep an eye out through our BCWF(British Columbia Wildelife Federation),Who is the hunting / fishing voice in western Canada.

TOM

#3 ·
Finally some Canadian legislation that makes sense. Having duck hunted for years in Canada I find now that I have to fight with guides to shoot on my favorite water holes only to find that these guides are Americans guiding Americans. These guides start in Northern Alberta with trucks trailers and all the gear and simply follow the migration south. Since
most farmers will let anyone hunt on thier property with permission they are finding it easy pickens as far as picking up a bundle of cash at Canadian hunters expense. Because of a loophole our moron politicians left in NAFTA, migratory game birds were open season for anyone to come up here and hunt. The CDN guiding association are tryng to close
this huge loophole and rightfully so!! What do you think the odds are for a
Canadian to come down and start guiding in Minn or TX.

#4 ·
This is what you fail to understand. Most freelancers from the US are NOT rich--far from it. We are working stiffs who chose our Holiday time to hunt waterfowl. No way could I afford $300 a day withan outfitter. Since the loop hole exists--close it up! I do think it is not at all honorable for Americans to be guiding in CA thru the loophole, so close the loop hole. Bottom line is make it illegal to guide in CA by any nonresidents and put teeth into it-like 1st offense is prison time and $250K fines, That would stop it.

Also put an end to allowing NRs to give away their fowl. Some Americans stay up there for 3 weeks and shoot hundreds of birds legally because your law allows the birds to be "gifted" (given away). Close this loophole too with penalties like permanent forfeture of all NR lic in CA, hefty fines, etc...

Closing these 2 loopholes would severely curtail the abuses in CA and put an end to the encrouchment of your hunting places you mentioned.

So I hope you see that not all Americans are the same. :smile:

#5 ·
I have news for you atp, since 9/11 there is no easy over the border access. As to our freedoms? Well the Patriot Act took a big bite out of those. Between the anti-gunners, PETA, and the Left-wing radicals, our freedoms are disappearing fast.

I understand how it must suck to get to your favorite hunting spot and find someone there, and then find out they are from out of town, state, or country. Been there, done that! What did I do……moved down to the next hole and shot ducks. Those ducks at the first hole weren't mine. They belong to everyone! If those other guys from out of the area, were willing to get up that much earlier then me to get out there, then fine…they get to hunt the honey hole today. In addition, if some guy owns a piece of land, then he should have the right to let anyone he pleases hunt it.

We do not need more laws. The more laws you make, the more you have to make. Then you have to build more prisons, cause you know once you hit a certain number of laws people will run afoul of them. Next thing you know the anti-gunners and PETA win because everyone is an ex-felon for breaking some stupid little law and they can't have a gun and hunt any more.

Why don't we push for hunter ethics and cooperation? Go out and have a friendly chat with the people. Buy them a cup of coffee. Explain to them how your grandpa taught you how to hunt ducks at that pot hole, and you been hunting there every year since. Sure there are a certain number of a**h***'s out there that will tell you to get lost. However, a greater number of hunters will let you have the spot the next day, especially if you turn them on to some place else where they'll at least get some shooting in. Some place the ducks go after you shoot at them….that way they will keep the ducks moving longer.

Lets work together to keep our sport alive and to keep guns in the hands of all free people….not just in the hands of the government, and those of us who have never been in the wrong place at the wrong time, or made a stupid mistake.

Just my two cents.

#7 ·
One has to wonder of the motivation behind the legislation. Outtfitters looking to make themselves bigger? Perhaps rampant abuse reported of yahoos coming up for a weekend and shootin up the place without regard for the resources. I cannot really say! I do know the guided rates for Prince Edward Island varies but is only 125-200 a day .However I have some issues there so dont get me started :eek:
I plan on going out west in 06 and I have to pay the same fees as our southern cousins. No one minds paying for good service, we do that everyday.

I was workin at the airport the other day when someone in a very southern drawl said "can Yawl tell me ow much it costs to Halifax" I said thats $41.00 canadian and 3 fish" (he had a cooler and a rod case on his wagon.

"Man he sez I only got 2 fish and they cost me over $1500.00 EACH"

I started to laugh and he said whats so funny . I said that would buy me 6 guided goose hunts in PEI"

It just goes to show perspective. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Yes Sir, including Big Game in most states.

Just remember that I posted this topic over a year ago. But I still stand on eliminating the 2 loop holes. And residents are POd about NR guiding services and lots of birds being shot (game hogs), so since there is a problem--enforce the existing law and reform it to eliminate the NR guides 100% with huge fines and prison terms. And go to a "tag" system for the birds for NRs, meaning when you buy the lic you get possession limit # of tags for the different species (ducks, light goose, dark goose) and that is it and all birds must be tagged before you leave the field. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.