Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how important do you think it is if a open water call can scream out a ringing highball. I know it's only to be used as an attention getter, but how important is it really? How often do you use it? I've been using it at birds 100+ yards away with good success. The reason I'm asking is because I'll be placing an order for a couple of calls in 2 weeks and am trying to decide how to have them set up. Maybe have one set up as a ringer and the other just LOUD....HMMM :help:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I hunt a big resevior a little north of where I live, It is in this place where the wind never seems to stop the shore is rocky and the whitecaps constantly pound off the shore line. The attmosphere is loud there. 30 yards outside the spread you can not hear a duck call unless you ring it. Up there I would not be without a loud ringing call that is the only way on many days that you can get the birds attention.

Most of the time in other places I don't ring the call much if at all. I don't think it is all that important most of the time, a lot of guys don't use it at all. As for me I would not be without at least one call that will really ring.
I like to have every tool in my box at my disposal. Why not?

Bret

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
bret, how hard do you have to blow to get the call to ring. the only way i can get near that sound is to damn near pop a lung...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You have to blow pretty hard, but there are other factors. mouth cavity size. Reed length. and the air has to be right from the gut hot air as they say. I tell you what why don't you shoot me your phone number and when it is a good time to call you. I have the free long distance on the cell and I can talk for free. we will get it worked out. I will also send a few extra reeds and a little cork your way.
:thumbsup:
pm me. or I will shoot you my number and you can just give me a call if you have the free long distance.

Bret

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I hunt small impoundments and some flooded timber. In my area, as soon as somebody highballs....the birds gain 200ft. of altitude, and head for the Mississippi River. I can get away with an excited greeting call, but, if ya highball em...they are outa there. I have heard some RNT calls that will flat out make your ears bleed...Y'all have a nice day! :tounge:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Most hunting situations don't require the highballing bleeder. They sure do sound good through the RNTs though :yes:

I use it quite a bit around here, but the river is two miles wide and the sound carries nicely over open water.

mike

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
personally i don't use it, never bothered to learn it, and don't see a need for it unless you are standing on a stage.

of course, other people will certainly disagree with me...and hey. if it works. go for it.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Not too often, and yes I can do it as I hunt bigger water.

As ol Eli Haydel said years ago when asked which calls he uses, he said the greater and feeder is all he uses. He siad either they is coming, or they aint . That guys has sold one hell of a lot of calls over the years.

As for the competition calling--a major problem in 1 place that I hunt. These idiots go to a calling competion and think that is bhow you are supposed to call ducks :eek: Look here guys-competitions are about being able to handle the call and all the notes-not how one is supposed to call while meat hunting. :umm:

Those idiots start highballing time after time on the open water and after 3 hours of being downwind of them idiots, I am about to go up there and tell them to shut up. Way too mnay times they flared ducks working me over a 1/2 mile away. :pissed: Dumb [email protected]!#s. :thumbsdown:

editted by shrpshtr for language

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I start seeing Judges fly by, that's when I 'll blow a highball. Besides that just call at em on the corners, works every time :mrgreen: :withstupid:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
H20 - i hear ya. i hunt a public WMA and that place is a regular zoo on the weekends. located only 30 minutes from 3 large city centers (portland, beaverton, hillsboro) it can get downright crazy. sitting in a blind trying to work in call shy ducks that get shot at every other day with a couple of idiots 100 yards to either side of you and 10 more idiots in the same sqaure mile all blowing (or attmepting to blow) sounds that they hear the competition guys blow....ugh.. it's a wonder they don't have more hunting "accidents" out there. :eek:

that haydel quote was dead on. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.