Duck Hunting Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 2320 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,261 ·
How far can ducks see a Baby size MOJO/LUCKY DUCK spinner from elevation?
A Baby Mojo is about 30" tip to tip with magnetic wings.

Further investigation turned up this
"We had a crop duster tell us he could see one of our Mojos 8.5 miles away," Denmon said. "Now that's the human eye. We don't know how far away ducks can see that motion, but it's probably a couple miles. So you're influencing ducks that might never have even come close to you."
https://www.wildfowlmag.com/editorial/w ... gic/280245

Tried and true methods are usually the safe route, but show 'em something they haven't seen EVER, and especially that works for both ducks and geese and you may have the "Silver Bullet"....maybe?
I know how many times I've had the truck within ten yards, piles of decoys all over the place, and four or five hunters running around in the field and had groups of geese and ducks 'ALMOST' glide into range overhead.
Give them that kind of movement to draw and finish them over a natural looking set, something they haven't been seeing for months...maybe that is the ticket?
I may have one element on the workbench right now?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't think spinners are as attractive to ducks as they once were. Using them has become an exercise in knowing when to turn them off after hooking the ducks. Kind of like not blowing a hail call past the point where you have gotten the ducks attention and they have turned your way. Keep talking to them...maybe...but blow your call until you are blue in the face...no. I would never use a spinner that I couldn't turn off with a remote control.

I personally think that good motion in your spread is way more effective in finishing ducks than using a spinner.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,263 ·
HaydenHunter said:
I don't think spinners are as attractive to ducks as they once were. Using them has become an exercise in knowing when to turn them off after hooking the ducks. Kind of like not blowing a hail call past the point where you have gotten the ducks attention and they have turned your way. Keep talking to them...maybe...but blow your call until you are blue in the face...no. I would never use a spinner that I couldn't turn off with a remote control.

I personally think that good motion in your spread is way more effective in finishing ducks than using a spinner.
I agree about spinners not working as well these days but with the caveat "show them something they haven't seen before" ...now that is something I'm working on.
We'll see.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
As an aside,
There are currently rave reviews about an item called a 'Flock-a-Flicker' that will probably begin to diminish as they spread into everyone's sets as did the spinners, and I hear where guys are now mounting them in the back of floating decoys as the little units fall prey to leaks. Dry field hunting is not a problem, but why go to that extra expense?
I only do one water hunt, and if I find needs must be, my 2 G&H Navigators and a newly acquired Pulsator will provide all the water movement needed on those hunts.
Being in COLD country after freeze-up, I find it tedious to drill holes in frozen ground to mount spinners, and much prefer to simply place my spinners low to the ground on these 'ring stands' made from the paper towel holders (as I have converted floating duck decoys to field decoys). The stands are very stable, and allow me the same effect of Flock-a-Flickers low amongst the field decoys, which may be of some additional value as well. They only await a bit of paint.
20210323_091708.jpg

20210323_091847.jpg

The square tube is actually about 1.5 inches of the Mojo pole cut off and welded to the ring stand. Cost $1.50
But something VERY much bigger is coming down the pike this Fall.
I love to tinker with my decoys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I bought a pack of six Flock-A-Flickers and yes, they do indeed give you additional flash when they are floating amongst your decoys. Of the six, three did not last a season. I was disappointed with the purchase.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,266 ·
HaydenHunter said:
I bought a pack of six Flock-A-Flickers and yes, they do indeed give you additional flash when they are floating amongst your decoys. Of the six, three did not last a season. I was disappointed with the purchase.
I like the look of the Flock-a-Flickers very much, but I think I can get "ALMOST' the same thing on dry land mounting my spinners low in the field decoys. And it's come time to pick and choose and repurpose to a degree to keep cost down.
That's my hope anyway!

·
Registered
259 Posts
For years now we have used lucky duck decoys on both land and water with self adjustable timers we bought a long time ago. with the lucky duck, they have square tubing that attaches to the bottoms of the decoys and the tubing that comes with them is only about 18" long - give or take an inch or two. So, to make them low to the ground and to keep the tubes from filling up with dirt, we use rebar cut in 24-30" lengths and drive them into the ground in the fields and then just slide the luck duck onto the rebar. it keeps them low to the ground just like a bunch of ducks moving across the field. We also have made a couple longer - 6 ft long tubes that we have modified to attach to the bottom of the lucky ducks so they stand above the rest to act like they are landing into the group. We can also then use the longer decoys for our water set ups. This with the self adjustable timers that we use work wonders because they are not on all the time and when birds are working, you can concentrate on the birds and not on turning them on and off with a remote. We have found that when we did use a remote to turn the decoys on and off by hand, when we turned them off when birds were committing to coming it, a good share of the time that flared them compared to the on off settings we have found that work for many flocks that we have hunted. No need to modify or make anything else to keep the decosy low profile as lucky ducks can be done as purchased and just use some rebar folks. And, for those who ask about the rebar and frozen ground, a good 5lb sledge hammer that we carry with us works awesome and little trouble getting it into the ground far enough to hold the decoys.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Goosepond,
I'm sure the same sort of thing can be done with the Mojo brand and rebar. My Son-in-Law uses the pointed stakes from his former Lucky Duck goose flapper and drives those in with a rubber mallet to mount the LD duck spinners at ground level in a frozen dirt field.
Not that I've tried it myself, but I wonder how driving a stake of any kind into a frozen gravel bar being only ice and cemented stone wouldn't work up quite a sweat?
I have read guys claim they can mount their duck spinners 10 ft above the ground for increased visibility in ground soft enough to do that, but experimenting with Lucky Duck Goose Flappers myself at those heights saw no appreciable gains, and I'm not sure duck Spinners/Flappers would either. Click on picture to rotate.
20200808_162123.jpg

Frankly, other than the use of an X flapper judicially, geese don't seem much care for Flappers any more than Spinners, tho a homemade version I did 20+ years ago did until dogs came into the picture and jerk strings and dogs in dry fields don't mix
001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
FS, we actually use different lengths of digger links with one end sharpened a bit. With the sledge, they actually work quiet well. One other thing that we have adapted to holding the spinner square tubing if we are in a rock bottom like many places on the snake or similar situations is to take an old tire rim, place a 2x4 across the rim, bolt it down tight through the holes in the rim and drill similar holes in the 2x4 to hold it solid on the rim. Then drill a hole just big enough for the square tubing of the spinner right in the center to push it down through and when you push the tubing down in the hole so the tubing hits the ground, the rim holds the tubing upright and it doesnt move in any kind of wind and still works great. We have just a couple of these due to the weight of packing them around, but, thats all we need at times. Otherwise, with the digger links, we have 8 spinners we use in the fields that we pound into the ground and it doesnt take much time or effort to do. You can modify anything like this if you cant get it in the ground as some use a cordless drill and long bit to drill a hole and then once past the first couple inches you can pound the stakes in the ground no problem too. We have never had to do that but it does work, at least for us. And NO sweat produced :)

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,270 ·
I bought a skil rotor hammer last Spring, and a one inch bit for the poles (1/2" conduit plus wedges), but the battery only lasts for one hole on a one inch bit in frozen ground, so after freeze-up I believe I'll just stick to these ring stands I can 'set' out and not worry about elevation issues and packing extra gear. I am lazy by nature ......and it sure isn't getting any better with advancing years.
What is your opinion about extreme elevation with motion decoys (10 ft or better) ?
I guess some guys like it, but I never actually tried it beyond the yard in these pictures, tho I've had them to 5 ft before, but It seems the birds being at elevation themselves, having the decoys way up there is being redundant?
I suppose when all the guys I hunt with bring all the Spinners they have we can field up to fifteen, but as HaydenHunter says, then you run into the issue of remembering the remotes when geese are involved. So far I don't think we've ever put out more than five on even a field hunt, but we may experiment with more this coming season. Wish mine were Lucky Ducks instead of the old Mojos so I could program one or two remotes to run them all instead of a chest full, especially when it's critical they all be turned off.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Looking pretty "spring like" for this weekend as the prediction is 60 or better Friday-Monday. I think Saturday my be the start of my gopher killing season. Nice that the local sporting goods store actually has .17 hmr in stock. I don't know about where you all were but night before last and yesterday the wind howled here. 60+ gusts reported in multiple locations. Guy just a couple lots from us said his wind gauge topped out at 50. With any luck it helped break up the ice on the lake. Maybe by Monday afternoon we'll start to see some decent open water and I can start getting the little boat out. Both me and the dog are going stir crazy. :lol3:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yeah, Gene. That big wind event rolled through North Idaho, too. Heavy winds but thankfully the ground was not saturated as it was during the last big windstorm this winter. Many trees came down then, root ball ripped out of the ground and all. Lots of homes trashed. Three on one block where one of my rentals is in Cd'A. One of the houses, only two years old, has been scraped down to the foundation...direct it right down the middle by a huge tree. Nowhere to start but a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,273 ·
We had the big wind here too.
Lost a big Elm in last Fall's blow, and it snapped several 4X4 cedar posts then too, but the other night didn't damage anything but my nerves.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,275 ·
goosepond said:
Sure is quiet around here, everyone must have gone on vacation :lol: :hi:
I'm thinking that as well.
The big fire miss you?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Fsbirdhouse said:
goosepond said:
Sure is quiet around here, everyone must have gone on vacation :lol: :hi:
I'm thinking that as well.
The big fire miss you?
Yep, fire missed me, its still about 4 miles south se of me. But, man for this time of year, a 1,200 acre fire is unreal. It's so dry out, not just here but country wide I dont know what its gonna bring. I really feel bad for those who lost their homes and affected by the fire, but, goes to show if people dont watch their spring burning addictions what will happen. A neighbor just 2 houses up from me lost his barn and chicken coop 10 days ago when another neighbor decided to burn his ditch on a day we had 30+ MPH winds and they were lucky it didnt get to the houses or we would have lost at least 2 in that one.

To me, and I had done fires for 45 years and I know that Gene has done fires for many years too, but, this time of year, there just arent the resources around this part of the country to do much. And they were lucky to be able to pull 1 helicopter from somewhere that could help with water drops. Some people were blaming the BLM/FS for not bringing in retardant planes but they dont understand that those pieces of equipment just arent around here until towards end of June. There may be some on contract in the SW area of the country and maybe Cal, but, to get them here is a miracle and I dont think they can get it done.

It's not the BLM or FS fault for the fire, it's the person (idiot) who decided to burn with winds over 25 mph earlier. If it is proven who started the fire, which it will, I hope they have very very good home owners insurance because this one is going to be very expensive to pay for.

Hats off to all of the fire resources for doing what they could. Fire departments from Chubbuck to Madison County and everything in between. Now thats pulling together to protect the community of Firth, which could have easily lost a lot more structures. For this fire to jump the Snake River, now that has some wind behind it to get that far across the water. You dont see that kind of extreme fire behavior until late summer season. But, the fuels along the snake river are so heavy with junipers, cottonwoods, grasses etc, it wont be the last one around here.

The counties around here need to bring their fire restriction/bans on much earlier when people start to burn and require permits. I bet almost everyone reading this knows of or has seen people burn ditches and fields spring and fall that get away and burn one heck of a lot more up than anticipated. People, fire is and can be addictive, I know that from my time on them, but, fire in the hands of those who dont know what they are doing is very very dangerous and destructive.

Ok so Im done with my rant, it just upsets me that people dont use common sense when the winds are forcast to be over 20 MPH dont burn and in many cases over 10 puts you in a danger zone.

I just want to get my boat out of the shop today and get some kokanee on the end of the line. That will take a lot of relief off of the winter blues, lol :)

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,277 ·
Goosepond,
Glad that fire missed you!
BTW: My son now owns the boat I ran the Snake with for 30 years. Just mounted a Minn Kota and a fish finder on it, and we too are going after Kokanee over the next week at Ririe.
If you go there and see a little yellow boat...wave!

·
Registered
259 Posts
weather looks like it wont be good up on Ririe until tuesday so I think ill hit it then, mine is a older 73 reinell with a 85 hp johnson on it. Kinda beige color. It sounds like a number of folks from around this area fish Ririe, i knew some did but a lot more than I thought :(

supposedly, from ramp to dam has been pretty good, power lines so so. they shouldnt be to deep though, water cant be that deep. Ice has only been off for about 3 weeks. Got my boat back today from service tech there in BF, Blackfoot motor sports. They have a pretty good mechanic now and Ive used them for 4 years now and he has done me justice. They must be doing well compared to what the reveiws were a few years back because they are jammed up and jelly tight, lol, on service.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,279 ·
Unfortunately a 'lot of folks' are going to be the norm around here compared to what we are used to.
Now that so many have jobs that only require a computer they can do their work from home and that means 'ANYWHERE'!
I was hearing several years ago cable news people saying "Idaho" a lot and I knew the shift here would start someday, but I never thought we'd see such a rush so fast we'd be awash in them to this degree in such short order.
Not since the days of the '49s or the Dust Bowl years has there been shifts in population this massive in the US.
I'm more worried about those from the LEFT coast bringing in their Liberal agendas then about just numbers, but the water, schools, and medical services will all suffer as well because nobody much is making the effort to keep up with that aspect.
I guess it is what it is?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,280 ·
Just thought I'd drop into 'The Crypt' this morning to see what's doing.
Man, this place IS dead.

2261 - 2280 of 2320 Posts