Duck Hunting Forum banner
2281 - 2300 of 2320 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Fsbirdhouse said:
Just thought I'd drop into 'The Crypt' this morning to see what's doing.
Man, this place IS dead.
I haven't been doing any fishing at all. This week I took a part time job with a contractor friend hanging T&G nd between that and coaching baseball there's been no time to do anything. Headed to Hamilton today so the wife and attend her 2 day handgun training class. I do believe I'll be on the water tomorrow, but I have no idea where. Weather is still up and down but it's showing signs of turning nice. We'll see I suppose.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,282 ·
All three of my favorite fields or spots to hunt are going into corn this season.
One yesterday. One today (right now), and the other is already. Talked to planters today.

I'm thinking geese, but more than that, Mallards. Clouds of Mallards.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Fsbirdhouse said:
All three of my favorite fields or spots to hunt are going into corn this season.
One yesterday. One today (right now), and the other is already. Talked to planters today.

If that is the case I will make it down this year to hunt with you! Last year got sideways with all the Covid restrictions but I am vaccinated and good to go, or at least so says the gub'ment...now.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,284 ·
HaydenHunter said:
Fsbirdhouse said:

If that is the case I will make it down this year to hunt with you! Last year got sideways with all the Covid restrictions but I am vaccinated and good to go, or at least so says the gub'ment...now.
Wife was hesitant about guests last year because of the bug, but we got our vax too.
Last year was also very, very inconsistent about the migration. Couldn't count on birds being present at all, and then 'Boom' they'd be in for a day, and gone for 10.
Gil, we'll stay in touch!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We went back into winter. Yesterday started with an inch of snow and then rain, and this morning we're looking at the possibility of 3 inches of snow, it's 27 degrees and the wind is blowing at 30 mph. My wife and I were background extras yesterday on a movie set, and we'll be back there again today. Gets a bit nippy when you have to take off your coat to walk through a scene. :lol3: :lol3:

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Here it is again!
The annual 1st of August start-up of the "In Praise of Fall" thread here in the Idaho forum!

Yeah I know, it doesn't look, act, or feel very much like Fall yet, but no matter the calendar, hunting season has started for some here .this morning, and over the next two weeks things will take a noticeable turn as we see the days take much longer to reach the peak of their hottest hours, and the setting of the Sun in the evening rewards us with a much quicker 'Cool Off', add to that a better sleep under open windows through the night.

Maybe it's just me, but do I only imagine the sky begins to take on a deeper shade of blue at our 4500' elevation by mid month in August?

Mid August can see the beginning of the leaf change here along the Snake river on any given year
IMG_1847 (1).JPG

This was taken of a gravel bar on the Snake River in town several years ago on August 15th
I'll be keeping an eye for that to start pretty soon.
To those of you who have posted here over the years this all may sound redundant, but new folk do stop by from time to time, and to those I say,
"Welcome to the celebration of all good things"

Attachments

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,287 ·
Yippee!
Best rain of the year this evening. Super gulley washer! Streets flooded in town. Rained hard for hours.
The Elk hunters are gonna be loving this stuff out on the desert and other open areas.
May not need the fans on tonight...finally. Good, cool breeze blowing through open windows.

It's only August, so too soon to hope this moisture will keep on rolling up through the month periodically, nor that it's a harbinger of a return to times past when August Monsoons were often a token of an early Fall, cold snowy weather in Canada by mid November, and resulting good migration of ducks and geese.
But we can hope.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sure not very "fally" here in Northern California. Been working 15 hour days in the dispatch center and by Tuesday we're supposed to get back into another long string of 100 degree days. Leave to go to work before it's light, leave to go back to where I'm sleeping after dark. Long days for sure but the money will be nice.

My wife works at the RV park at the north end of town 4 days a week. A few days ago a lone lady hiker came in to get a tent spot. She was hiking the PCT but had to detour due to a fire. Wife noticed the hiker was cut and bruised and limping. Later the hiker came in and said she had found a hotel room, so my wife refunded her money and the lady hiker started to walk to town. She was limping pretty good so my wife drove her to the hotel. On the way the hiker said she would walk to the store in the morning to get supplies, but my kind hearted wife said she'd come in and drive her to the store. My wife called me that morning and I told her to offer the hiker our spare bedroom for a few days to rest up and heal a bit. The hiker took her up on it and spent a couple days recouping. My dog was happy because he had a new person to play with. This morning my wife drove the hiker across the valley to the next trail head and dropped off her new friend. She told the hiker if she needed help, or decided she couldn't continue, to call and she'd come meet her someplace and bring her back to the house.

Here our biggest fire went from 22k acres to 38k yesterday, hopefully today was better for them. One more week then back to Montana.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,289 ·
Sounds like your wife is a very generous person.
I can well imagine you will be having a string of hot weather. We're slated to climb back into the mid 90*s by Wed.
But tomorrow is to be a low of 44* before the heat rolls in for 4 days, but then mid to low 80*s thereafter and that may keep the dove shoot intact 'til the State Fair comes to town. Then the final rush before the season starts
After that it will be time to cut grass for Grassing Up all the big blinds. I'm cutting it down to two blinds of 6 feet long each to match the 6 footers I made since you were here. I'll have four such then, and all easier to handle and haul.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,290 ·
Did inventory on #3 shot I had in trailer yesterday, and was shocked how I'd come to rely on #2s so exclusively last year for both ducks and geese, but only having the one gun in the blind 99% of the time it's no wonder.
Only 1 and 1/2 boxes of #3 shot found, so when shopping with wife in Idaho Falls this morning picked up 2 boxes of #3 Fast Steel, just to know they were in trailer. Way too expensive, but with 6 weeks before the Duck season I can shop more frugally for more boxes.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Fsbirdhouse said:
Did inventory on #3 shot I had in trailer yesterday, and was shocked how I'd come to rely on #2s so exclusively last year for both ducks and geese, but only having the one gun in the blind 99% of the time it's no wonder.
Only 1 and 1/2 boxes of #3 shot found, so when shopping with wife in Idaho Falls this morning picked up 2 boxes of #3 Fast Steel, just to know they were in trailer. Way too expensive, but with 6 weeks before the Duck season I can shop more frugally for more boxes.
I haven't started shopping for shells yet. I can probably get through a month of season with what I have, but I should start looking anyway. Who knows whether supply will continue to be spotty into the season?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm good on shells, started stocking up last year. At my rate of usage I've got enough duck and good loads to last several years if everything disappeared from the shelf today.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,293 ·
HaydenHunter said:
Fsbirdhouse said:
I haven't started shopping for shells yet. I can probably get through a month of season with what I have, but I should start looking anyway. Who knows whether supply will continue to be spotty into the season?
I'll be looking at Walmart tomorrow
Just got first step of coating ring stands for floating duck decoys done this morning after mowing lawn.
That Plasti-Dip is really fast drying stuff. Hope it holds on the metal better than spray paint. Paint scratched off too easy, but this stuff is supposed to adhere better. I'll spray paint the stands afterward.
Whew! It's hot today.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What's this 'Fall' stuff that people here are praising?? I wish temps were 'falling'. It's hot! There's only one kind of hot I like. This is not it!! Help Mr. Wizard!

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,295 ·
fowledlogic said:
What's this 'Fall' stuff that people here are praising?? I wish temps were 'falling'. It's hot! There's only one kind of hot I like. This is not it!! Help Mr. Wizard!
At this point we are just praising the 'Signs' of it's impending arrival.
There is a change here at the house. The nights are becoming cooler on average, and that means better sleep with the cooler air flooding over the bed through the window above the pillows. That's a big one!
Another I just noticed this morning while mowing the lawn. The first apples and plums on our trees are beginning fall to the ground.
Currently we are in a short stretch of 90*s before the drop back into low to mid 80*s. I really don't want to see it drop into the 70*s just yet until after the opener for Doves. Then the 70*s with occasional rain showers here in the valley, with low 60*s at elevation to kick-start the leaf change.
Those changes alone are enough to praise until I don the Sitka again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Fs, the only Sitka I've been dealing with is the Sitka spruce tops on some of my guitars. Both of those are now sold off to Guitar Center. A Yamaha AC3R and an A5R. The three Eastman's I now have are topped with either Red Spruce or European Spruce. This stuff would be in Mean Gene's wheelhouse!
It was 100 here yesterday in Boise. That makes 18 triple digit days this summer. Three more and we set a new record. Wow! I can hardly wait. I'm not sure I even remember fall any more. And at my age I've had plenty of them, or at least should have had plenty.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
fowledlogic said:
Fs, the only Sitka I've been dealing with is the Sitka spruce tops on some of my guitars. Both of those are now sold off to Guitar Center. A Yamaha AC3R and an A5R. The three Eastman's I now have are topped with either Red Spruce or European Spruce. This stuff would be in Mean Gene's wheelhouse!
It was 100 here yesterday in Boise. That makes 18 triple digit days this summer. Three more and we set a new record. Wow! I can hardly wait. I'm not sure I even remember fall any more. And at my age I've had plenty of them, or at least should have had plenty.
You should come to Montana next week and bring those guitars with you. We're having folks at our place from Wednesday - Sunday and we're going to sit around and play bluegrass music all day and night.

·
Registered
438 Posts
About the only traveling I do these days is down to the river in season to hunt waterfowl. Round trip is 110 miles. Hate flying and rarely do it. I never play out. I'm a stay at home guitar player. No one but me has to hear my embarrassment. But I love guitars. My first was a Wards Airline arch top. I think it was $30 in 1964. I was thirteen. Two years later I traded it on a Gibson Kalamazoo single pickup electric. Gibson's take on a Fender. A cheap take. I've had a bunch of guitars since, mostly electric's. Got back into acoustic's 6 or 7 years ago. I still have five electric's and the three acoustic's. I've built five tube guitar amps. Two from scratch were the last ones. Raw chassis, drill all the holes, did my own layouts on raw fiberglass boards, drill and install turrets, install sockets etc. and wire everything up.
O.K. enough rambling. I'm ready for cooler weather. In my life-time preferably!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nice on the amps. When it comes to electronics or mechanics I'm completely lost. My with and I have been volunteering at a living history museum this summer. She plays the stand up base, and I play mostly frailing banjo, but also a little mandolin and guitar. Here's a video someone took of us doing a song in front of the saloon while one of the other volunteers did some dancing. Not optimal sound, but you might enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,300 ·
Rain, Rain, and more Rain! And more forecast for later this weekend.
I've seen the opening day of Dove season, or even the end of September for that matter, not seem as much like Fall as have the last two days. But it ain't here yet!
The temp stands at 52* at the moment, and we have at long last closed all the windows on the house.
After this deluge is over, the Temps are forecast to be in the lower 80*s for a week, and that should suit the Morning doves just right for the opener.

2281 - 2300 of 2320 Posts