Duck Hunting Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 2358 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, I guess no one went out on the opener, thats really sad that we have gone completely silent and not even fired a shot :( Hope the season gets better for ya all since Im sitting home and I'm crying a tear as I see several flocks of ducks n geese moving about late in the day. Maybe someone around here can find em and get a bag full :) Enjoy

·
Registered
439 Posts
As much as I miss the reports, I'm hoping the silence is to help keep the interlopers away! Good luck or bad, they're not internet scouting without information being posted. We're getting plenty of non-locals on my side of the state...too many. California, Utah, yup.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've been working, and won't be home until November 2nd or so, so no reports from me. I can show you a picture of my computer screens if you want. all 7 of them. :oops:

Would love to hear about somebody getting something, kinda boring with nothing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As much as I miss the reports, I'm hoping the silence is to help keep the interlopers away! Good luck or bad, they're not internet scouting without information being posted. We're getting plenty of non-locals on my side of the state...too many. California, Utah, yup.
I totally agree with you on most all of this Fowledlogic, and I hate the internet scouters as much as the next one. I just know that there are ways to just say, had a good couple days or something without giving up the bag or places. I'm just lusting for some news on how the season is going or thoughts on it since I am done hunting due to health reasons as many have read on my past posts. It's killing me to know how all of you are doing or at least a few here n there. But, until then, have a great season and enjoy the outdoors to which I am basically banned from :(

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,326 ·
Goosepond,
I'm hoping this moisture and cooler temps move a 'FEW' more ducks around this weekend.
I think Fall is progressing more the way it used to this year. Not to say that will make for heavier bags, but it sure can't hurt.
Will be establishing a new blind location tomorrow morning, May take a gun along in case small numbers of new birds got pushed into the area.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Goosepond,
I'm hoping this moisture and cooler temps move a 'FEW' more ducks around this weekend.
I think Fall is progressing more the way it used to this year. Not to say that will make for heavier bags, but it sure can't hurt.
Will be establishing a new blind location tomorrow morning, May take a gun along in case small numbers of new birds got pushed into the area.
I hope you stack'em up Jim. Definitely let us know. I am excited that I'm on the downhill side of this work assignment now, less than 2 weeks to go. I am very thankful it came along as it put's us in a great position money-wise that we would not have been in otherwise. Still, I'll be glad as all get out when I set foot back inside my own house, with my own wife, and my own dog. Okay, maybe even that stupid cat.

But first I have to go to San Diego and catch tuna. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I guess the internet scouters have this site shut down. No posts in over 22 days :( And apparently no tuna go go with no ducks. Ive heard a very very few reports with mixed results. My buddy over in Oregon has been having a bang up year so far. Opening day, he got a double band, a band each on a double he took on mallards opening day. Thats what I call a good season and Id stop right there. He's been all over the state and so far, going well. Almost everything has been drakes and even a mix in of drake pins in full color. I hope everyone here is doing well with this weather. Finally almost all the corn is picked, should be done by this coming Tuesday around here from what few fields I see still standing and leaving great cover. No more real snow storms predicted for a while but a few showers off n on so might be a few birds around for a while.

Since I cant hunt, i havent been to places like Mud lake or Market or Sterling to see what the water levels are doing or how the hunts have been. But, with temps like this, at this time of year, it should be good if there is water, to get in and around about everything.

Well, here's to the health of everyone and hope everyone is healthy, wealthy and wise. I'm heading back to see my mom in Illinois this next week. She turns 89 in couple weeks so even though my health isnt the best, I need to head back to see her and give her what I can. As we all need to do with our families, keep them in our prayers and make the best of what we can while we can. They wont be around for ever but, we need to keep around them the best we can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I guess the internet scouters have this site shut down. No posts in over 22 days :( And apparently no tuna go go with no ducks. Ive heard a very very few reports with mixed results. My buddy over in Oregon has been having a bang up year so far. Opening day, he got a double band, a band each on a double he took on mallards opening day. Thats what I call a good season and Id stop right there. He's been all over the state and so far, going well. Almost everything has been drakes and even a mix in of drake pins in full color. I hope everyone here is doing well with this weather. Finally almost all the corn is picked, should be done by this coming Tuesday around here from what few fields I see still standing and leaving great cover. No more real snow storms predicted for a while but a few showers off n on so might be a few birds around for a while.

Since I cant hunt, i havent been to places like Mud lake or Market or Sterling to see what the water levels are doing or how the hunts have been. But, with temps like this, at this time of year, it should be good if there is water, to get in and around about everything.

Well, here's to the health of everyone and hope everyone is healthy, wealthy and wise. I'm heading back to see my mom in Illinois this next week. She turns 89 in couple weeks so even though my health isnt the best, I need to head back to see her and give her what I can. As we all need to do with our families, keep them in our prayers and make the best of what we can while we can. They wont be around for ever but, we need to keep around them the best we can.
Sorry to read about your health issues. Always enjoyed reading what you posted, as well as FS. I'm on the other side of the state. Opening weekend was out by myself as boys were deer hunting. Shot 3 mallards and should have had more, but without a dog(lost my lab 3 yr's ago and wife isn't quite ready for another) didn't want to shoot birds I could not guarantee I'd be able to retrieve without losing them. Have a great time with your mother,I'm sure she will enjoy having a you there for a visit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
And Gene, you still do AD work or whatever the equivalent is for your home unit and find time to do this, lol. Man, you have it made my friend, Youll never give up those details for the extra $$$$$ to buy more freezer space, :eek: None of us have the luck like you do, and as you said, you havent even hit the ground after a duck or goose, lol, just think what your freezer is gonna look like :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
And Gene, you still do AD work or whatever the equivalent is for your home unit and find time to do this, lol. Man, you have it made my friend, Youll never give up those details for the extra $$$$$ to buy more freezer space, :eek: None of us have the luck like you do, and as you said, you havent even hit the ground after a duck or goose, lol, just think what your freezer is gonna look like :)
I did decide yesterday to give up the long range fishing until we get projects finished around here. It's simply getting to be too expensive and I can't justify spending that much money on myself for a one week event.

Yesterday I took 15 minutes and filled doe tag #2. This evening my beautiful wife cooked up the best tasting venison roast you've ever eaten. I've been blessed for certain, but none of it would be possible if I was afraid to step out and take a chance. Now my freezer looks like this.

Shelving Food Cuisine Shelf Kitchen appliance

Dinner was pretty too:

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nicely done there Gene and that meal looks like it melted in your mouth as it was placed in there :) one of the best looking pieces of meat Ive seen cooked in a very long time. Hats of the the domestic engineer that did this one :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
She found some recipe that said to bring it to a certain temp, then take it out of the oven for 20 minutes, then put it back in and bring the meat temp to 125 degrees, then take it out and let it rest for a certain time period. The recipe said if you took the meat to 145 degrees you had "killed it". I agree. 145 would be a burnt offering. I think overcooking wild game, or fish, is a great way to ruin it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
agree on the high temp, that kills any good waterfowl meat, and generally any wild meat. If you can get the recipe, Id love to get it and try :) My mom was the best waterfowl/wild game cook ever, man I remember growing up eating her cooking and never being able to tell difference. You have one keeper there Gene :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Here you go:

Sauté onions in butter, Cut several small slits in the roast and insert garlic slivers, put the roast on top of the onions in a roaster pan, drizzel oil over the roast until it's coated, season liberally (she used salt and pepper but you could use most anything), place in preheated 450 degree oven for 20 minutes, take it out of the oven, let oven cool to 350 degrees, place roast back in oven for 25 minutes, cook to 125 degrees internal temperature, take it out and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then you pig out on it. Big key is no more than 125 degrees internal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks Gene :) most of the ingredients are common ones, but, I think that the slits in the roast, not just the inserting of the garlic, but the slits alone allow the juices and temp get deeper into the roast and allow the temp to more evenly spread over the meat. It sound awesome. I dont have any wild game as I havent hunted them in years, but, OMG, I am going to try it on our beef roast and see how it turns out. Should be awesome as well :) Love sharing recipes for stuff we cook and devour lol lol

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think it would work great on a beef roast. Well, Mrs. Goodwrench is abandoning me today. Her mom came down with covid so my wife is off to Minnesota to save the world. No sense trying to talk her out of it, simply won't happen. My wife had it a couple months ago, so I'm not real worried about her contracting it again at this point, but I did tell her to mask up regardless. Her mom is getting mono something antibody treatment, and she's tough as nails, but she's 80 some odd years old, and that counts heavily against her. We'll see. Bottom line is me and the dog are on our own for awhile.

Found some nice whitetail bucks yesterday evening, and was half a step away from a good shot, but they are called ghosts for a reason. Friend and I will be back out there today, so I may end up with more pictures this evening.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well, went back to the ranch with the whitetail bucks yesterday at first light and within 15 minutes had my first ever whitetail buck down. Not a huge one, but I don't care, a first is a first. On the back side of that ranch there's a section of the Ruby River that runs through it: it's full of mallards, and hunting access is available. Talked with the ranch owner quite a bit yesterday and really got along well with him. He's a good mechanic for Dodge diesels, and he builds hot rod...what's not to like about that? I gave him a bunch of yellowfin tuna and he was extremely happy with that. Got his phone number and he said I was welcome back any time. Pretty cool.

Tire Wheel Car Mountain Vehicle

2321 - 2340 of 2358 Posts