Duck Hunting Forum banner
2341 - 2358 of 2358 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks Gene and appreciate all you do. You have to remember, your in God's country out here in the west. So many great places to live and not be impacted, but, so so many are moving in on top of us from all over :( Glad you found a place with some green on it. It's hard to do any more. Good luck and enjoy your bachelor life for a few days. My mom turns 88 end of this month and I just got back from seeing her. She's as tough as nails and no one, i mean no one is going to move her from her home until she passes. She smoked Pall Mall Reds from high school until 5 years ago and docs say you cant tell she smoked. She did it cold turkey. Now that's tough. A different day n age they lived in and most of us the same way, but, thats a story for another day lol :) Enjoy the meat now and you might need another freezer LOL LOL :eek:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Since I finally have all my carving stuff with me, I decided to get going on this project that's been waiting for several years. Started today by rough shaping this mallard that is made from 100+ year old Montana barn wood.

Wood Textile Headgear Gas Plant

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Life is good indeed. Tomorrow morning I'll be on the other side of the valley in search of a cow elk. One of the local ranches lets a few locals try for cow elk at the end of the season. I'll be hunting with a friend of mine who manages the ranch next door to the one we'll be hunting. Our friend Ray works on the ranch and guides the high dollar hunters and he's taking us up to the hunt ground before light in the morning. He was watching the field this evening and there's 400 elk in there, so at this point it's looking good. I've never killed an elk, so I'm really hoping to break the drought. My wife's brother and family will be here tomorrow afternoon for Thanksgiving, and their three boys, ages 9-11 and chomping at the bit to help me cut it up if I do get one. Praying hard!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I hope your Elk hunt is successful , there's nothing like Elk hunting in and around your state ! I always enjoyed west of Clark Canyon even a little north up Bloody Dick Crk !
We have had some good years up there , made many friends along the way , even that Crazy Bugger Monte at the Horse Hilton in Grant . With hunting these animals , even though
a Royal wouldn't be one I would turn down , I was always happy as heck to harvest a , not so hard to get out , Cow ! In our home , it's better than Beef as every morsel of flesh is
strategically removed from the bone , it's the stews , chops and roasts that are so scrumptiously prepared , that make it so good !
That Fancy Wood burning stove of yours , would make the smell of Elk Stew smell so good , along with plain old Drop Biscuits with butter !

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Today I had the opportunity to hunt a local ranch for cow elk with a couple friends. We got into a herd right after shoot time and we all three downed animals. A cow elk might not be a big deal for a lot of folks, but this was my first elk of any kind ever. One shot and it took three steps and fell dead. For a guy like me, who has never had this kind of hunting, it's a big deal, and an absolutely great day. Sitting here in my chair this afternoon I am very thankful.

Plant Outerwear Hunting Plant community Ecoregion

Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Well Gene I can tell you , once you have that fork in your hand , those horns are just something to nail on the Barn !
I've always butchered my own animals as I wanted every last Morsel , my family was raised on it and I have been very thankful for the luck I have had !
As long as a well placed shot was made , a good fat Cow will feed you through the winter along with a Buck Steak or two ! Yummy
Living the life , for what those animals were put on earth for ... Enjoy !

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those look like dry cows Gene. If so, wow, you hit a gold mine. Most dry cows Ive shot in the past were the best because they werent concentrating on producing milk for a calf. Enjoy and now you have some down time to enjoy and dream of what the hunt really was :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My wife's brother, wife and four kids are here for Thanksgiving, so yesterday I put them to work helping me with the elk. For dinner some of the backstrap found it's way to the dinner table. The oldest boy stayed with me all day and helped me strip the last pieces of meat from the bones just after 5 pm. That kid is a future killer for sure.

Dog Butcher Shorts T-shirt Leisure

Vertebrate Shorts Butcher T-shirt Fish

Table Art Window Butcher Creative arts

Tire Wheel Table Tread Tableware

Food Mettwurst Ingredient Recipe Bottle

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Wow it sure looks like your freezer is stuffed with a assortment of groceries this fall , all for the enjoyment of keeping you and the Misses well fed ?
Oh Yeah those Elk aren't like a deer , that takes about an hour to butcher ? Elk take some time as you de-bone all you can get from them . Sharp knifes and packaging takes
some time also but , it sure makes the work seem easier . It sure makes what you harvest taste better , not having someone else's shot-up , not taken care of animal , with bone
dust dragged through the meat from a butchers saw . A lot of folks think hanging animals makes them taste better , I believe , shot while they're calm feeding or standing , field
dressed while most all the blood will run out and getting the heat out of the body as soon as possible is a Big Plus ! I always pulled the hide off out in the field , quartered and
chunked up the neck meat and de-boned the ribs leaving the skeleton for the critters to chew on ! Only a couple times I had the luxury of having a vehicle close by and not
having to pack the meat out on my back , never felt the need to pack the bones out ,just to throw them away !
You allowing that Youngman to help will give him the experience later in life , how to take care of himself . Plus sticking with the job until it was done , is Huge and builds
character , most youngsters don't have ! You being his Mentor teaches him the instructions you give , he'll remember forever .

This is what Thanksgiving is ALL about , mostly lost in our society of Super Markets and online orders ?

Happy Thanksgiving and fill that mountain air with music , life is good !

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That’s great Gene. Hope you have enough freezer space for that elk, the tuna, and the geese that are to come.
As of yesterday they're starting to just that. This morning it took longer to set out the decoys than it did to kill my birds. First day I set up in the wrong spot and still managed 3 geese and a duck.

Sky Cloud Plant community Bird Ecoregion

Sky Terrestrial animal Cloud Grass Grassland

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
it's so amazing for this time of year not to see , all white in your surroundings ? It really doesn't look that cold either ? What's that area like .more open farmland ?
That's a long ways from home !

2341 - 2358 of 2358 Posts