Duck Hunting Forum banner
2361 - 2380 of 2391 Posts

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Looking at the quality of that Decoy and seeing other projects you have finished , I wouldn't be surprised "IF" you would write a song to go along with that Old Barn Wood decoy ?
You certainly have the talent ! It's just a suggestion from thinking , what could be next , and thinking , a idle mind is the Devils workshop ? Fill the mountain air with music !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
So, when you get a bunch of geese, what do you do with all that meat? Yesterday I took a bunch of legs and thighs and cut the meat off them. I had about 1/2 dozen breasts thawed as well, so I cut those into strips. After making sure there was no shot in any of the meat, I ran it all through the grinder, mixing it 2/3 goose meat to 1/3 pork fat. Coarse ground it first, then ran that through the fine plate. Took a little and seasoned it with seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder and honey and it cooked up great. I'll do some more of that, but I think I'd rather have honey powder than raw honey. All in all I ended up with 22 lbs of sausage. Next up I'll be making some elk and deer burger.

Food Tableware Bottle Ingredient Animal product

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Water bottle

Food Ingredient Dish Cuisine Recipe

Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Gas

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,364 · (Edited)
I'm sure he'll like it Gene...I do!

Now when it comes to old Barnwood, I have some experience as you know.
Not having the skill to put it to the knife, none the less the Barnwood boards we
got our hands on were never more than decor
This one sits in our living room at the moment
Wood Art Fashion accessory Event Visual arts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Looks good Jim!

Got some soft jerky done today and made up 5 different flavors of sausage to try. Right now there's teriyaki goose burgers on the smoker.

Food Tableware Recipe Dishware Wood

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Yummy , that will fill your hunger pains as the snow gets deeper ! I can imagine its taste from here . Being prepared for winter take time and with your skills , dang right good !
What's there not to like for dinner , a Buck Steak , Elk Roast , Honker Breast in the Crock pot , or maybe some Fish filet's in buttered Garlic sauce ! ....Dreaming !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Snow!

I'm thinking there's more snow out there than the 2-3 inches that were predicted. BUT, the plow on the quad did a great job, and I was having so much fun I plowed out 4 of the neighbors after I did our place. Another great day in Montana!

Cloud Sky Snow Slope Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Snow Natural landscape Slope

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Well , that surely could of been a , Winter time Post Card picture , before you went crazy ! There again , it's your view to change it anyway you like !
I assume this picture is taken more Northeast ? Been awhile sense I've been there .

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Got a light dusting of snow early this morning. When we came home from dinner last night the roads were in pretty decent shape, and since today is supposed to be 40 degrees for a high, I was figuring they'd finish deicing today. May be tomorrow now, but still I think they'll be good in a day or so. After Christmas we're supposed to get some colder temps so it'd be nice if the ice disappeared before those hit. BUT, I don't control the weather so I'm not going to worry about it.

A funny thing has happened, it seems. After a couple years in South Dakota, and now a couple in Montana, I’m beginning to dislike the snow less and less. When it snowed at our place in California I had a hundred feet of driveway to shovel by hand. Here I have an ATV with a plow blade. Quite frankly, when we got several inches here this week I had a blast out there clearing driveways. Now, I might have a different outlook on snow if I had to be out there working in it, but I don’t, so there is that.

So, for now I’m just going to sit back and watch the world go by and not concern myself about what the weather is doing.

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Landscape Plain

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I sure would think you'll find plenty to do around the property . Yeah I agree those icy roads , no matter where you're at can be a pain . Your daytime temps are not far from ours, here
in the valley , but , ours come with plenty of Fog . This is that time of year , even though we haven't had much fog the last few years , it has cause some nasty accidents on Hwy 99 and
commuters just can't drive at normal speeds , even though most are leaving 30 minutes earlier .
I'm trying to get through the holidays with not taking to many pain meds as I'm scheduled for shoulder replacement surgery on Jan 4 th so I'll be laid up for a few weeks being in a sling .
I'll be missing Winter League Trap shooting but I wanted to get this over with as I'm done dealing with the pain !
Well , have a Merry Christmas and Holidays and lets hope fuel prices come down a bit so I / we can do some traveling by summertime !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Working on making a snow cover for my panel blind for field hunting. Put a sheet on the panel blind, then used Rustoleum camo paint to make tan stripes, then hung that white netting over it. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with this design.

Picture frame Wood Floor Flooring Automotive design

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
That should work , it looks good ! In a place like your last Goose hunt next to a hedgerow would be Ideal !
I made mine out of Cane woven together with baling wire into 8 Ft panels X2 . I use 3/4" Alum Tree props ( 4) so to make a A frame . I can still see through it and stand it up , as high , as
I need with them being 5 ft tall . I can carry (2) of them along with 4 doz Duck decoys , my blind bag , gun and my dog on the quad out to remote places a lot of birds want to be !

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was going to put a little more grass on it, but I ran out of material. But for now, I'm calling my removable snow cover for the panel blind good enough to try.

Sky Cloud Mountain Ecoregion Natural environment

Cloud Sky Azure Natural landscape Slope

Cloud Sky Snow Natural landscape Mountain

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Opened FB today and one of those memory things came up with pictures of decoys I flocked and painted back in 2014. Been a long time since I've done any of this stuff. If was fun, but way more time and effort than it was worth.

Bird Wood Beak Organism Waterfowl

Textile Wood Temple Art Metal

Bird Beak Waterfowl Ducks, geese and swans Feather

Bird Wood Shelf History Ancient history

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Haha in 2014 you were looking for things to do , your talent was put to good use , I guess but there has been
a lot of Bridges you have crossed in those 7 years and I'm amazed at your accomplishments !
What's Next ? I think I've read or seen your post on a forum or two , even before those Hens were Flocked
so , keep up the good work ! Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What's next? Well, how about finishing off enclosing the front porch, and turning it into a 4 season room?

Helped our contractor friend start framing the very front of the porch so we can get the lower door and window banks in and keep winter on the outside of the porch. The upper window holes will just be covered until probably May, but as soon as the framing is done we can coordinate with the glass company to get the double sliding door and the two groups of windows delivered and installed. Window deliveries are 12 weeks out, so we'll order the upper windows in February and install them when they come in May. Eventually this room will be insulated, heated and air conditioned, have plenty of outlets, finished with the same T&G pine that's in the rest of the house, and the floor will have an epoxy coating that looks like wood. That's going to take real money, so at the end of January I'm headed back to work in dispatch in Yreka for 2 months. I'll most likely supplement that with 2-3 short assignments this summer. We're hoping to have a way cool, 4 season room, that has the real potential to become our living room, and be all paid for upon completion. They didn't have the 12" insulated header for over the big double slider here locally, so I'm headed for Butte in the morning to pick one up. The rest of the framing should be finished Saturday.

Yeah, not ready for moss to grow on our wheels yet.

Sky Property Window Wood Building

Sky Cloud Building Shade Wood

Sky Cloud Wood Shade Building

Sky Building Window Cloud House

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
WOW outstanding , that'll be a wonderful view and a "great place" to fill with mountain music !
I once had that kind of vitality after 34 years doing industrial sheet metal and home construction on the side but ,
the last 4 / 5 years with having my knee replaced and now on Jan 4 th total (RT) shoulder replacement I've slowed
down to only doing chores around the house and property . This hunting seasons I've missed the most but it's given
me plenty of time to do a lot of reloading ammo ,thinking I'll be ready when the Doc says it's ok ! I have certainly missed
pigeon shooting , even though my contacts have told me get well soon , at least the flocks will be getting bigger . I
can see they are with the amount of birds gathering up in both towns north and south on these cold mornings ,they have a real problem with these birds as well as Crows so , I'm looking forward to burning up some shells .

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Basic framing is done and we called for the delivery of the double sliding door and the lower windows. Whole room won't be done until at least next fall, but we'll keep chipping away at it. The upper three window openings are covered for now. Those windows will be ordered in February.

Sky Water Shade Wood Cloud

Sky Cloud Building Shade Land lot

Sky Building Cloud Land lot Shade

2361 - 2380 of 2391 Posts