Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas-and ladies-

My family is staying in Long Beach over Christmas-and i want to do a little duck hunting at athe Willapa NWR area.

Anyone have tips, locations? Love to hear anything ya got!

Thanks-

PB

·
Registered
189 Posts
got a boat, if so then get a map from the long island boat launch, they show where you can and caint hunt ducks, if you don't then you can set up on any of the mud flats or slews along 101 or along the columbia you need a map though, unless you know the area, it's good all over

·
Registered
109 Posts
There are a couple of places you might try. Leadbetter State Park which is at the end of the peninsula has hunting access along Willapa Bay and there is a ton of shoreline there and can be ok. The other public hunting spot is off Hwy 101 before you get to LB about 3-4 miles out. If your comming from LB on 101 right before you cross over the Bear River bridge turn left on Jeldness Rd and follow it to the end. There is a parking area a couple of gates and lots of marsh and open water. You can walk the dikes but you should, depending on tide and rain wear hip boots. Plenty of places to set up decoys but be careful of water depth cuz it changes and it's not always easy to tell. It's nice to have a good dog when you hunt either spot. Have Fun. :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas-\
I will be wading...no boat yet! I only have mallard decoys, and only 12 at that! Should I throw some out, or just try and puddle jump some ducks?
maybe a little close in pass shooting>?

Don't worry. I can't hit much over 30 yards so no long range skybusting.

Oh, I have a good dog named lucy! She'll bring anything!

PB

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably best just to do some walking and jump shooting The Jeldness area is best for that. You can set up some decoys at the state park just watch the tides fairly shallow water though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You might try the chinook river flat for jump shooting, just on the south side of the chinook river off highway 101 there is a gate into wdfw lands there is miles of ditches and puddles hunting cn be real good with decoys if the weather is snotty. You really dont need a lot of decoys in there to. If you hunt leadbetter hitt it on the incoming tide and the brggining of the ebb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.