Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Zink's Ancient Art of Paralyzing, the duck video and the goose video, were both very helpful to me. I greatly improved on my goose call, I can actually call in some geese now. It is very detailed and shows the correct hand positions and stuff. Just my opinion

·
Registered
594 Posts
try finding:
intructional cassette tape and cd
(tape) rnts's the right stuff foundations for success
(cd) Echo's duck calling 101

dvd:
H.S. waterfowl Take 'Em Six
(comes with intructional dvd for both duck and goose calling)

:salude:

good stuff

p.s. for laughs get Duck Comander's secrets to successful duck hunting i love hearing him talk you'll get alota oneliners from that cassette tape

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Zink tapes are geared more towards people learning to blow a Zink call. They cover air production and hand movements (duck & goose) that deviate from the norm. If you're learning on the Zink calls, fine. If you already know how to blow a call and are wanting to learn some new tricks, fine. If you want the most basic of instruction on how to blow ANY duck or goose call, they are probably not what you want.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Now that you've pointed that out, I'm gonna have to agree with you. Even though there are a few tips on there that did help me and works on some different calls, it is mainly for zink calls. There are a few tips you can pick up off there that will work on most calls. They are great videos, but may not be what you are looking for. I do have a RNT the right stuff cd that I really like, there are 3 different cd's. I think you can get a combo with all 3 in it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I also meant to say that I think Zink is a GREAT teacher. He does a good job explaining the thinking behind what you are doing on the call. I own Zink goose AND duck calls, love 'em.

:thumbsup:

I still say that Keith Allen's CD is the best for the beginner, even if it is a pain to obtain. The RNT CDs are great if you already have the concept of air production down and want to learn different types of calls and some other fundamentals. The 2nd and 3rd CDs are great at teaching some advanced stuff as well as WHEN to call.

In short, I don't think there is one magic bullet. But you need to start in the right place or you'll forever be spinning your wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the duck calling 101 by duck commander is great. very practical and aimed towards actual duck hunters. i've heard several tapes that sounded about as far from a duck as you can get. i think it was that championship calling stuff. you know, the ones with the twenty note calls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, i could care less about Championship calling. (Which most tapes, CD's, DVD's are giving instruction on now a days) I need something for the "almost" advanced caller.

Duck calling is actually simple its nothing like Champ. calling. Learn a cluck, greet, and comeback, forget that machinegun style feedcall too. That is strictly for show. It has flaired many ducks away from me.

just my .02

·
Registered
445 Posts
shawn stahl's video "honker talk" will show you how to manipulate a short reed goose call. this type of goose call requires back pressure like a flute. also what you need to do with your tongue. teaches volume control....for those that have an interest in the mechanics of a short reed goose call....about an $11 tape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.