Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my dog to a pond today to let him swim around and its about 60 degrees outside. he wouldnt go out to far and i didnt know if it was because he didn't want to or because it was to cold. anybody got any ideas on why he wouldn't?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
We had our dog out making 11 retrieves yesterday - water is about 39 degrees - cold is never an issue with a retriever - I would make a guess that he is not comfortable in the water yet - are you in there with him, or when he was getting acclimated to the water as a pup?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
make it a fun adventure for the dog - splash around, in shallow water - don't overdo it for time - make it something HE wants to do - be sure the serious training is before he gets fed - have fun yourself and he will too!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Too cold? I dont think so. I saw my buddies Chesapeake break through 2" of ice with her chest to after a downed duck. I have no advice on training, but there is a blevy of info on the Refuge Gang site. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well Im no expert but, I would say that it isnt to cold at all. Remember to keep trips short and fun then he always wants to go back for more because he dosnt know what its like to have his fill.

·
Registered
286 Posts
DUKHTR said:
make it a fun adventure for the dog - splash around, in shallow water - don't overdo it for time - make it something HE wants to do - be sure the serious training is before he gets fed - have fun yourself and he will too!
:dito:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It depends on the dog. My chessie can go in water....comfortably...that my lab wouldn't put her feet in.

·
Registered
122 Posts
no way my dog will go right into freezing water also and sit an shiver, but go right back in again for a chance at a duck. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Personally you just need to know the limits of your dog. I you are running them in cold water and the air temp is 15 degrees I just keep a closer eye on him.

Don't get bone headed about it, everyones dog has its breaking point chessy or lab, its just staying away from it. Its not worth losing a good friend over it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts