Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beretta Extermia and yesterday I was shooting at some geese and then my gun jammed. Then I looked and just the brass part was in the action. So I pulled it out and was going to put another shell in and it wouldn't go in because the plastic part was in the gun still. So I was done hunting for the day. When I got home I got it out and looked at it and it was pulled clean off of the brass. What do you guys think it is the gun or the shell?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I would first want to know how old the shells are and have they been exposed to any water? I presume you are talking about steel shot. If the shot rusts together in the shell it will cause extremely high chamber pressures and the shell ripping in half would be a good indication. If the shot is not rusted I would definitely contact the manufacturer and give them the lot# cause this sounds dangerous. I always keep my shells in ziplock bags and make sure I use the ones that have been exposed to the elements first. Steel shots #1 enemy is water and you dont want to take any chances>

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would say the problem is 99% the shells.
1st though, were you doing a lot of shooting adn the gun hot when it happened? Is there any rust (sorry, have to ask) in the chamber.
Either could cause the plastic to stick and then weak brass on the hull cause it to seperate. Still goes back to partly shells fault.
Clean gun and get another box (brand) of shells and try again.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.