Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
ohhh yeah. since i'm from az that has never happened to me :getdown: but if i get the chance i'll be in my waders and in the ice.definatly worth it.

had

·
Registered
935 Posts
Best shooting of the year. Having someone up in the bow, making the boat act as an icebreaker to clear a big sheet of skim ice out of the way is very effective. Taking a rookie out and hitting the skim ice before light is hillarious. When the ice shows you really don't need to be out that early. Had some of my best shoots between 10:00 and 2:00.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It seems like a week out of the season we get about an inch of ice on the rice fields and small backwater potholes. When this happens we either break out large sheets of ice and slide them under the rest of the ice or we head for bigger water. Large lakes and rivers are AWESOME when this happens. The best season I ever had was right aafter Christmas in 2000. We ended up getting 4 inches of freezing rain and sleet on Christmas day. The next day we headed out on the river and easily shot limits for 7 people. I was on the cell phone in between groups of birds calling friends to come out so they could shoot some birds. We could have had another 10 people come out and take limits.

yeller

·
Registered
70 Posts
last season....last sunday of the season.....i chipped my way out in the ice in a 15 ft canoe.....mini-icebreaker now......to some open water....ended up with a real nice goldeneye that day....not much else was moving.....my shot was overhead and a little behind me....the wind carried the eye over a penninsula ....... i padded around the penn and saw the bird laying in the middle of another patch of ice......while i was chipping my way once again through the ice.....i noticed 4 guys in a boat blind all standing up and watching me from 200 yards away.....they all started clapping once i retrieved the bird......kind of nice to have an audience

·
Registered
69 Posts
When the ice gets too thick to break open and thick enough to walk on try getting a big blue tarp the cheap plastic kind lay it out on the ice and cover the edges with snow throw on a few shells and the ducks will dive right into the ice thinking its open water works great around here!

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
DuckPlayer said:
When the ice gets too thick to break open and thick enough to walk on try getting a big blue tarp the cheap plastic kind lay it out on the ice and cover the edges with snow throw on a few shells and the ducks will dive right into the ice thinking its open water works great around here!
:toofunny: now that is funny :toofunny: do they knock themselves out? talk about saving money on shells! :laughing:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
duckplucker said:
DuckPlayer said:
:toofunny: now that is funny :toofunny: do they knock themselves out? talk about saving money on shells! :laughing:
Don't laugh duckplucker, it works. Been there done that. Did the koolaid and food coloring thing too.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I'm not saying it won't work, i just find it funny that we get natural highs from hunting animals dumb enough to fly into a sheet of ice. Trust me, I'll be one to try this... and tell my bro too cause he could use the help of them killing themselves and him not shooting. He will save A LOT of money. :toofunny:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.