Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6,656 Posts
i'll bust a slough open because i know i can get ducks to get close enough for a little look, then blast em.

· Registered
498 Posts
When the ice gets too thick to break open and thick enough to walk on try getting a big blue tarp the cheap plastic kind lay it out on the ice and cover the edges with snow throw on a few shells and the ducks will dive right into the ice thinking its open water works great around here!
I am planning on trying this here when it freezes. I'll use a black tarp though. It has go to beat trying to bust 4" of ice.

Ryan

· Registered
347 Posts
I just watched the RNT-V episode where they were hunting over some frozen water. They opted not to break it up...however they did to a little puddle to place some decoys in. Their reasoning was that it didn't look natural with the "ice cubes" floating around. They even left the dead birds out on the ice until they had their limit.

I've always broken ice. Some days were good. Others not so good. I'm going to try not breaking ice a few times this year and see what that does.

· Premium Member
4,565 Posts
carlschmarl2 said:
I just watched the RNT-V episode where they were hunting over some frozen water. They opted not to break it up...however they did to a little puddle to place some decoys in. Their reasoning was that it didn't look natural with the "ice cubes" floating around. They even left the dead birds out on the ice until they had their limit.

I've always broken ice. Some days were good. Others not so good. I'm going to try not breaking ice a few times this year and see what that does.
This year I'm looking at doing the same sorta thing and setting some FB mallard on top of the ice.

· Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Ok idahofowler, what's the big idea bringing up a 4 year old post? Also, what is this busting ice you guys speak of? The only ice we break down here is when it freezes together in my tea. :yes: :rofl:

· Registered
6,656 Posts
David said:
Ok idahofowler, what's the big idea bringing up a 4 year old post? Also, what is this busting ice you guys speak of? The only ice we break down here is when it freezes together in my tea. :yes: :rofl:
:rofl: I wanted to know how many people are willing to bust ice, and how long until steel posted about how he re-re-resuggests that old posts not be brought up :biggrin:

but seriously, i'm considering trying the black tarp pond this winter, i've never seen it done around here, so i think the birds will fall for it good.

· Registered
498 Posts
Let us know how the tarp thing goes. I'll do the same. :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,519 Posts
Of course you bust the ice. Here is what you get for your work.

Like was said by previous posters....notice no ice chuncks etc in the water area. The birds are seeking out open water. When the ice gets thick we hit the rivers around here. There is usually water somewhere because it is moving. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
4,565 Posts
QH's Paw said:
Of course you bust the ice. Here is what you get for your work.

Like was said by previous posters....notice no ice chuncks etc in the water area. The birds are seeking out open water. When the ice gets thick we hit the rivers around here. There is usually water somewhere because it is moving. :thumbsup:
Going to the river when it freezes is a good game plan. You get the ducks all day when its like that!

· Registered
670 Posts
ohhhh yessss. here we have had our late season pretty cold and need to break ice and make open water and has worked pretty good. plus it is in the river so the dekes have good movement.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
wackemstackem said:
The guys that answered no need to find another forum to post up on.Go hard or stay home and watch the football game.

Sisseys.
that would have been my exact response! come on guys this is duck hunting! sure its supposed to be fun, but its also supposed to be challenging your not supposed to get everything handed to you on a silver platter! to those who said no you should just quit duck hunting.

· Premium Member
4,565 Posts
gadwall getter said:
wackemstackem said:
The guys that answered no need to find another forum to post up on.Go hard or stay home and watch the football game.

Sisseys.
that would have been my exact response! come on guys this is duck hunting! sure its supposed to be fun, but its also supposed to be challenging your not supposed to get everything handed to you on a silver platter! to those who said no you should just quit duck hunting.
Amen brotha!

· Registered
754 Posts
Funny thing about busting up the ice....you have to make sure that the lake isn't completely frozen over! Late last season we pulled up to the boat launch wicked early. God wasn't even up yet. There was a nice sheen of ice for about 50 yds or so and then it looked like clear water. At least it did in the dark. We started chopping up the ice w/ an axe. It was about 3-4 inches thick!! I was "in the zone" so I just kept on chopping. Once we got enough cleared (I was up to chest level in the water) we busted up the rest with the boat. What we thought was the end of the ice was just a big crack! What we thought was open water was just about an inch on top if more ice!!! We wasted about 2 hours for no reason. It's still worth it if there's open water, though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.