Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have never hunted ducks or geese and just wanta try it out.
So I'm looking at all kinds of waterfowl related things.

BUT I just gotta know why do duck calls cost so much? seems like you get 50 cents worth of mass produced plastic or whatever and they want a small fortune for it.
I'm not trying to be a smarty about this I just can't figure why the high costs.
There must be a reason.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can get a decent call fo raround 20 to 40.00......the expensive calls are usually acrylic...and yes..the mark up is large...but people buy them....if your just going to try it out....spend the 20 to 40.00 and master the basics.......

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yup! if you are just trying it out buy an inexpensive call. Even better maybe you know someone that already knows how and can point you in the right direction. The money you pay for a "custom" is often times more for labor than material. although I will admit many mark things up higher than I think they should hey it's capitalism. Everyone should be able to make a living, and for the most part only the very largest custom call makers are making a living at it.

There is a difference between the $20 call and the more expensive calls in sound, but the cheap ones in skilled hands will help get ducks into range for sure. Some of them are really good for the money.

Bret

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Thanks!
Nothing seems cheap these days. I'm sure the expensive ones must surely produce better sounds or folks would shell out $100.00+ for a call.

I will start cheap with everything and if this becomes an addiction I'll upgrade as I find the need.

I was at Gander Mtn. and saw some that were only like $15.00 and lots in the $20.00-$40.00 range.

Its all brand new to me and I have everything to learn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I probably will get the addiction. Its not like I need one though I already got the Catfishing Addiction,Big Game Addiction,Dangerous Game Addition and Upland Game addiction so I may as well get the Waterfowl addiction too! LOL

Looks like a blast! :smile:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Muskrat - big money for calls is like paying for anything else with a "brand" name.

you can find really great calls for under 40 dollars, and in most cases under 30. i have a few calls that cost me easily twice that, but hunted last season with a call i bought for 27 bucks and killed a lot of ducks.

knowing how to blow it is everything. a guy that knows how to blow a 10 dollar call will outhunt a guy who can't blow a 100 dollar one. ( and believe me...there are ALOT of people who fit into the latter... lol )

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
you left out the part about how good looking i am... :thumbsup:

i heard the sound files of your calling. it sounds awesome and i have no doubt you do well in the blind as well as on stage.

:salude:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I was reading at Haydels website about the costs involved in acrylics.
They must be turned on a lathe,buffed to remove marks ect. then tuned. All time consuming labor. where as the plastic ones are injection molded which is cost effective.

A pretty good read for anyone like me just wondering why the costs were so high. Now I know!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Muskrat,
Real good question. Glad you were able to find your answer so fast. Keep the questions going, the quest is never ending...

Brett / Swamp Puppy - You guys make peace fast over here :salude: . Not used to that, think I'll stick around if ya'll don't mind.

Swamp Puppy - Just confirmed my vacation for the weekend of 6/18 and 19. Was supposed to be working. Will be camping at the Fairgrounds if you'd like to share a cool drink. Of course there'll prolly be some of those young guys that wear those silly team sweatshirts and drive the trucks with the decals around. LOL! All the divisions, including the Meat, ought to be pretty darn good.
Hope to see you there!

Rel Atwood

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
good to hear Workenem. i will be there to watch the action for sure. i shouldn't be too hard to find, i'll be the one without the team sweatshirt on. :thumbsup:

i'll PM you my number so you can get ahold of me when you get into town.

my thoughts have turned towards having a BBQ over at my place here in town on that saturday night. that's not a definate yet, but in the works. check into the OREGON forum for more details on that one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.