Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i shot my limit yesterday and i spent like 2 hours plunky ducks with a buddy. ALso is it worth to pluck the whole duck or just do the breasts because i got a cookbook and there are some whole duck roasts is it work to pluck the whole duck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ive seen people dip the birds in hot wax and then they let the wax dry and the feathers just came right off when the started to pluck the birds.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
I bought one of the darn duck pluckers from cabelas. :pissed: I tried it on a goose and it would not do it. I had to still pluck it by hand and use it to clean the small stuff off only. Then dip it in 150 degree water to get it off the leading edges of the wings. It did help on the legs though.

It had feathers going everywhere. The drill was even sucking them up. I breathed one in my nose and had a fit then switched to my mouth and almost swallowed one then almost puked. :eek:

I thought that was enough of that!!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Oh, it did not matter what direction that thing was spinning. Waste-o-money machine. It's good for final clean up on several birds to clean the small stuff off and I like it for that.

Glad you like that. It almost looked like it was snowing and I was afraid it was going to damage my hammer drill. I don't know how feather down will affect a motor and brushes, but I was not interested in finding out and the $300 plucker was out of my budget!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
3:00 AM in the morning and the dogs are barking at me because I'm laughing at archeryrob!! TOO FUNNY!!! :toofunny:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
archeryrob: that is funny :laughing: . I'm glad that I'm on a prep period as I'm reading your post! Kids would think I'm nuts.
That dipping in parafin is a good idea. How big a vat, how much water, how much parafin? One gallon, one slab of parafin per duck? Per goose?

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only easy way to pluck a duck is to have the wife do it for you :toofunny:

Now, talking seriously for a sec, try hanging your ducks for a couple days before you pluck them (of course, it will depend on how cold it is where you live).

If you let the ducks hang for a few days, the job becomes easier - no need to mess with boiling water or wax. The rule-of-thumb is to hang your ducks for few days (by the neck) and then pluck the tail feathers. When they come off easily, the duck is ready to be plucked.

I'm in WA, and have left ducks "hanging" for as long as 4 full days after the hunt, without any ill effect. You'll be amazed by how cold the meat is when you clean that duck.

EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE:

1. If you get a warm weather spell, you need to clean the ducks immediately.
2. If you shot your duck in the lower part of the body (gut area), you need to clean it the same day you shot it, because a gut shot will spoil the meat fairly quickly, regardless of how cold it is.

Of course, I hardly ever have that problem, since most of my kills are head shot :getdown:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
rub your thumbs to get the feathers off then cutt along the breast bone cut the tendons and just eat the breast forget the wax and boiling water stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once you get the hang of it, you should be able to pick a limit (7) ducks in about an hour; this doesn't include gutting. I've found that it helps to use latex gloves that are available at farm stores and probably at a lot of drug stores. Buy the box of 100 to keep the cost down.They help to grasp the feathers for the initial plucking and then by rubbing the down with your thumbs, it rolls right off. When I get to the gutting, the gloves are nice, since you can rinse your hands under the faucet before doing the next duck. Keeps all the junk out from under yuor fingernails also. The most fun is the shooting and the eating; never met anyone who claimed they shot ducks for the thrill of cleaning them!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.