Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ! I wanted to ask you another ? My lab is black and his skin irratations are miserable for him. I have him on Cephalaxin and Predisone for itching. He has been on it 3 weeks and it does not seem to be helping. The vet had me change his food to a fish and rice.(Purina One)
I did that and have been using a Happy Jack solution for his itching spots on his elbows. He seems to scrach non stop at night time, under his armpits and on the back of his elbows. I have also tried other medicated sprays,shampoos vet reccommend. ANY IDEAS??? I was wandering if anyone has ever used the old remedy motoroil and sulphur if so how do I mix it. The vet ran a mange test 3 weeks ago did not find mites but he has gotten worse over 3 weeks
Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
my dog has bad allergies too. we have him on prednisone too. you might ask the vet about increasing the prednisone. the only thing is prednisone is bad for dogs, it is affecting my dogs health now. there is allergy testing that can be done. my vet said it would cost about 800.00 for the testing. then the medication is expensive. and seeing a dermatologist isnt cheap either.also theres no guarantee the medication will work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Golden had real bad hot spots. Afteer 2 yerars the vet and I gave him Staff injections for about 3 months. He almost never gets them now. A buddy of mine has a lab that gets real itchy in the summer. He uses regular hand lotion. Not sure if it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After all this time I met up with a vet here that has labs and even though mites did not show up he has been treating him for mange with Ivomectin for 2 months and he is clearing up. He is also got him on Cephalaxen for Staff infection.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Burnt motor oil, well if it does not kill the dog, it might cure the problem. Some dogs have sever allergies. Bow up and spend the money and have allergy tests done. That way, maybe you can narrow down what it is he is allergic to and try and keep him away or out of an environment containing whatever it is. Plus, from the tests, you get the serum for allergy shots, just like with humans. Warning, it is no silver bullet, but it will let you find the source of the problem vs just treating the symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.