Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys-

I've been on the prowl for a good used over / under. Any of you have experience with the older SKBs, particularly the 500 model?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Administrator
Hey Guys-

I've been on the prowl for a good used over / under. Any of you have experience with the older SKBs, particularly the 500 model?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I've not shot one, does it have the barrel selector on the trigger? I'd find that a hard adjustment if so as the less I think before I swing the better. :rolleyes: Now I don't use the selector that often but I thumb the safety tang when I carry or hold the gun hunting, finger off trigger. The 1st decision is do I want to switch barrels (for the choke and shell I want for the shot) and the 2nd decision is committing to the shot. If I'm dove hunting, doesn't matter because both barrels choked the same.

Thumb on safety/selector tang provides both without feeling the trigger while focusing on the bird. Pushing the safety off happens in the first 10% of motion bringing the gun up (I never switch it off early) not due to safety reasons but for fluid motion. Finger moving to trigger probably happens at 50-60ish% of swing on bird. So thumb handles everything but taking the shot every time. It's a "one motion" kinda thing.

Probably just how I've trained myself learning from misses over the years. I think fingering the trigger first, then thumbing the safety, would screw up what's otherwise a smooth, fast swing on the bird. It also means I can reverse all of that if not taking the shot for some reason. One thumb movement puts safety back on and selecting back to the barrel I "think" is probably the most likely choice the next time given where I'm hunting and for what.

It may be my using an O/U or SxS from birth that shy's me off finger safety buttons so YMMV. Also why I bought the Mossberg pump 8+1 for home defense. Thumb safety tang is second nature. And oh BTW...all of my handguns are 1911 style.

As said, it's in the best interest of my shots to think as little as possible, kinda like not seeing the bead. If I "aim" I miss! 馃槄

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just like you, if I aim, I miss.
This SKB has fixed barrels ugghhh! I was still somewhat interested until I read on the SKB site do not shoot steel through any of their fixed barreled guns.
The search continues. What a PIA.

Administrator
I'm just like you, if I aim, I miss.
This SKB has fixed barrels ugghhh! I was still somewhat interested until I read on the SKB site do not shoot steel through any of their fixed barreled guns.
The search continues. What a PIA.
Ouch! Good call!! I'd think those kinda hard to sell. But that's just me.

Registered
I did all my grouse hunting with a 28 gauge SKB Model 500. (1970s and 80s) What a sweet little shotgun. Yes, fixed choke barrels, but I was shooting lead at them back then. Very well made and executed, it's a quality O/U for sure. The 600 and 700 models had silver nitrite, highly engraved recievers and well figured walnut.

Administrator
I did all my grouse hunting with a 28 gauge SKB Model 500. (1970s and 80s) What a sweet little shotgun. Yes, fixed choke barrels, but I was shooting lead at them back then. Very well made and executed, it's a quality O/U for sure. The 600 and 700 models had silver nitrite, highly engraved recievers and well figured walnut.
Full??

Registered
If I were you, I'd look to a used Beretta 68X or Browning Citori. Find a good one and you're not likely to be looking for a better gun in two or three years.
The same can't always be said if you buy an orphan O/U.

If you plan to use the gun for upland game, rather than waterfowling, you can include the Red Label in that list of good options.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This gun I looked at was very nice. I liked the weight and it felt very balanced. Had a very nicely engraved receiver and beautiful wood. The action still felt tight, so doesn't appear to have had much use. If it had interchangeable chokes, it would have been riding home with me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were you, I'd look to a used Beretta 68X or Browning Citori. Find a good one and you're not likely to be looking for a better gun in two or three years.
The same can't always be said if you buy an orphan O/U.

If you plan to use the gun for upland game, rather than waterfowling, you can include the Red Label in that list of good options.
I'm about to break down and buy a new citori, but I'd rather pick up a used one. A few years back I purchased a new Beretta 686. The next day took it to a sporting clays course and after about 10 shots my right cheek was bruised and swollen. Sold it two days later. That Beretta was a beautiful gun, but didn't fit me in the least.

Administrator
I'm about to break down and buy a new citori, but I'd rather pick up a used one. A few years back I purchased a new Beretta 686. The next day took it to a sporting clays course and after about 10 shots my right cheek was bruised and swollen. Sold it two days later. That Beretta was a beautiful gun, but didn't fit me in the least.
Assume you've checked gunbroker?

Registered
HNT-- Prowling the hills and hollars of Southern Indiana, our grouse hunting was always tough. First shot would clear a hole in the brush and tree-limbs. The quick following second shot might actually put pellets on the bird. LOL I remember lots of tree limbs and bark flying... as well as grouse. All gone now and what a damn shame.

Registered
L&L-- My 686 Beretta's are long stocked. By that I mean the length of pull seems longer than what say, Remington would cut a 870 or 1100 stock length for their intended "average build" shooter. Makes me wonder how many guys buy a gun that does not fit their build, but assume adding the right shim will make for a magic-fit. Cast and drop-- not length of pull.
Back before shims and such... Remington shotguns always seemed a good 'fit' for me. Same could NOT be said when I was shooting a Browning A-5. The old "Humpback" either fit you... or it didn't. And never would.

Administrator
HNT-- Prowling the hills and hollars of Southern Indiana, our grouse hunting was always tough. First shot would clear a hole in the brush and tree-limbs. The quick following second shot might actually put pellets on the bird. LOL I remember lots of tree limbs and bark flying... as well as grouse. All gone now and what a damn shame.
So you decided to double down with a .28 gauge. 馃槄 (y)

I get it though, one of my (currently) favorite Dove hunts is lazying down a wooded haul road or trail with the dog and pester the birds who like to forage through there. Always a brush bust on the shot but rarely at much distance does the dog need to worry about it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Assume you've checked gunbroker?
I've been watching gunbroker religiously. I've seen several citori's with fixed full / mod barrels. There have been a few guns that meet the profile I'm looking for, but when they want $1450 for a well used gun and I can get a new white satin for $1600, I just may bite the bullet and get a new one.

Super Moderator
Bought a Citori way back in the day just had to have it shootin trap and such . As much as I wanted to like that gun the more I hated it , I'd keep shopping JMO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts