Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,516 Posts
O/U don't recall a specific model the more I shot it the more I realized how heavy and thick it was just left a bad memory . I even sold a beautiful tournament trap 1100 to finance that Citori and have regretted that ever since .

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I love the citori. Of all the different models of O/Us I've shot, and there have been quite a few, it fits me better than most. I've owned a few citori's over the years and have been able to shoot them really well. I currently have a 20 gauge that is my go to for upland birds and it shoots right where it points and is light as can be to carry around all day. Those with 28 in barrels feel very balanced to me. I sold a 12g citori a couple of years ago because it was a fixed full over mod and wanted a gun I could shoot steel through. Wish I would have kept that gun. I also very much like the cynergy and the ruger red labels. The Win 101 is a sweet gun too, but I shot a box of shells through one this weekend and it seems to have a heck of a lot more recoil than other guns I've shot. I think I've settled on buying a new white satin citori.

·
Administrator
42,485 Posts
I love the citori. Of all the different models of O/Us I've shot, and there have been quite a few, it fits me better than most. I've owned a few citori's over the years and have been able to shoot them really well. I currently have a 20 gauge that is my go to for upland birds and it shoots right where it points and is light as can be to carry around all day. Those with 28 in barrels feel very balanced to me. I sold a 12g citori a couple of years ago because it was a fixed full over mod and wanted a gun I could shoot steel through. Wish I would have kept that gun. I also very much like the cynergy and the ruger red labels. The Win 101 is a sweet gun too, but I shot a box of shells through one this weekend and it seems to have a heck of a lot more recoil than other guns I've shot. I think I've settled on buying a new white satin citori.
I think my 30" Miroku 3" is a tad over 9lbs. You're right it takes a ton of the recoil and I've found it easier to swing through. If I did large tract. out west bird hunts I'd try a 2 3/4 Lightening. Maybe a 20. You and I have similar muscles, not sure what OG is sporting.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think my 30" Miroku 3" is a tad over 9lbs. You're right it takes a ton of the recoil and I've found it easier to swing through. If I did large tract. out west bird hunts I'd try a 2 3/4 Lightening. Maybe a 20. You and I have similar muscles, not sure what OG is sporting.
😂 Having a 17+ inch neck makes carrying / shooting a Citori much more enjoyable.

What do you know about Miroku brand guns? I know many of the good Browning guns were made by Miroku, but didn't realize there is a Miroku firearm company. Take a look at this gun. Looks a lot like a Citori. MIROKU FIREARMS O/U OVER/UNDER 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN 3" CHAMBER MODIFIED - Over Under Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 916574289

·
Administrator
42,485 Posts
😂 Having a 17+ inch neck makes carrying / shooting a Citori much more enjoyable.

What do you know about Miroku brand guns? I know many of the good Browning guns were made by Miroku, but didn't realize there is a Miroku firearm company. Take a look at this gun. Looks a lot like a Citori. MIROKU FIREARMS O/U OVER/UNDER 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN 3" CHAMBER MODIFIED - Over Under Shotguns at GunBroker.com : 916574289
I'm not one that reads, analyzes, buys or spends time on shotgun forums BUT...I'd not hesitate for a second on a new or used Miroku. Ohio Mike is pretty savvy so maybe he'll weigh in on any guidance I may be unaware of. Miroku O/U's does use the John Browning design and I'd be surprised if a Browning Miroku and a Miroku are any different inside. What may vary is the scroll work or finish. I think the Browning Miroku's are made in Japan but assembled in Portugal whereas the Miroku is 100% Japanese start to finish. The gun you pictured has a little more scroll work than my Browning.

The Miroku's take the invector chokes and I'd be extremely surprised if there's any material difference in the two. Just never shopped for one specifically and haven't tracked the cost delta. I also don't think they make a lot of "models" which may be one reason you don't see many on gun store racks. You sure run into a lot of fixed choked O/U's my man! 😅

I have purchased both of mine on GunBroker, same Miroku Citori but the 1st was chambered 3 1/2 (which I never used) that was stolen. The 2nd was the same in 3". I didn't buy new because it wasn't going to be a safe queen or relegated to impress myself at the trap range. I sanded and refinished both to go satin versus gloss for waterfowling (summer time project, probably didn't need to). Someone makes a light neoprene camo sleeve set that covers the entire gun in 3 pieces but only used that hunting a river floating in a canoe since the gun rested on the canoe beam. I never had a single issue with either gun both of which were 1980's guns. The safety tang felt a little sluggish on the 2nd one after a couple years so I had a gunsmith clean and re-lube the box and it was back to perfect.

You google as well as I do and am sure the right gun will pop-up soon or is out there now. 30" was a little harder to find than 28" when it comes to O/U's but they are out there. Might add 3 1/2 chamber to your search words if you haven't already, it eliminates some poor matches.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm not one that reads, analyzes, buys or spends time on shotgun forums BUT...I'd not hesitate for a second on a new or used Miroku. Ohio Mike is pretty savvy so maybe he'll weigh in on any guidance I may be unaware of. Miroku O/U's does use the John Browning design and I'd be surprised if a Browning Miroku and a Miroku are any different inside. What may vary is the scroll work or finish. I think the Browning Miroku's are made in Japan but assembled in Portugal whereas the Miroku is 100% Japanese start to finish. The gun you pictured has a little more scroll work than my Browning.

The Miroku's take the invector chokes and I'd be extremely surprised if there's any material difference in the two. Just never shopped for one specifically and haven't tracked the cost delta. I also don't think they make a lot of "models" which may be one reason you don't see many on gun store racks. You sure run into a lot of fixed choked O/U's my man! 😅

I have purchased both of mine on GunBroker, same Miroku Citori but the 1st was chambered 3 1/2 (which I never used) that was stolen. The 2nd was the same in 3". I didn't buy new because it wasn't going to be a safe queen or relegated to impress myself at the trap range. I sanded and refinished both to go satin versus gloss for waterfowling (summer time project, probably didn't need to). Someone makes a light neoprene camo sleeve set that covers the entire gun in 3 pieces but only used that hunting a river floating in a canoe since the gun rested on the canoe beam. I never had a single issue with either gun both of which were 1980's guns. The safety tang felt a little sluggish on the 2nd one after a couple years so I had a gunsmith clean and re-lube the box and it was back to perfect.

You google as well as I do and am sure the right gun will pop-up soon or is out there now. 30" was a little harder to find than 28" when it comes to O/U's but they are out there. Might add 3 1/2 chamber to your search words if you haven't already, it eliminates some poor matches.
:LOL: It's true, all I can find are the guns with fixed barrels! I bit the bullet and ordered a new white satin last night. I was driving myself nuts checking gun broker every 2 hours round the clock!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've not shot one, does it have the barrel selector on the trigger? I'd find that a hard adjustment if so as the less I think before I swing the better. :rolleyes: Now I don't use the selector that often but I thumb the safety tang when I carry or hold the gun hunting, finger off trigger. The 1st decision is do I want to switch barrels (for the choke and shell I want for the shot) and the 2nd decision is committing to the shot. If I'm dove hunting, doesn't matter because both barrels choked the same.

Thumb on safety/selector tang provides both without feeling the trigger while focusing on the bird. Pushing the safety off happens in the first 10% of motion bringing the gun up (I never switch it off early) not due to safety reasons but for fluid motion. Finger moving to trigger probably happens at 50-60ish% of swing on bird. So thumb handles everything but taking the shot every time. It's a "one motion" kinda thing.

Probably just how I've trained myself learning from misses over the years. I think fingering the trigger first, then thumbing the safety, would screw up what's otherwise a smooth, fast swing on the bird. It also means I can reverse all of that if not taking the shot for some reason. One thumb movement puts safety back on and selecting back to the barrel I "think" is probably the most likely choice the next time given where I'm hunting and for what.

It may be my using an O/U or SxS from birth that shy's me off finger safety buttons so YMMV. Also why I bought the Mossberg pump 8+1 for home defense. Thumb safety tang is second nature. And oh BTW...all of my handguns are 1911 style.

As said, it's in the best interest of my shots to think as little as possible, kinda like not seeing the bead. If I "aim" I miss! 😅
Ithaca skb 12 gauge side by side.. upland fantastic. 26 Inch, light weight.
No steel shot. BEAR IN MIND, only the Ithica SKB's. Safety on rear of receiver. Used for years, never should have sold it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts