Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys help me out with any tips/tricks you've used in the past for making your own jerk string set-up.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Sure.

Basically all you need is a heavy weight with a eyelet in it to run the line through it. The line goes to the front hole of tjhe decoy keel down through the eyelet of the heavy weight at bottom and then on to where your blind is. Heavy clear monofilment abrasion resistent line is used, like 60 lb test. The weight needs only heavy enough to stay in place from the force of the water trying to float the decoy. The bigger the decoy the bigger the weight. A small boat anchor weight should work, like 6-8 lbs and could do double duty as a boat anchor too in the off season.

BTW Bull Can, remember to stop over at the MN forum too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Drive a stake out on the edge of your spread. tie to it a 2-3 foot fairly soft bungee cord. then take some heavy mono line 50-60lb test. tie to bungee then tie to the keels of a few dekes on the way back to the blind.
now when your in the blind an need movement just pull the string and then let it go. your dekes will then move around and the bungee will pull back. you get great movement without all dekes dooing the exact same thing. Works great for me. Ijust hope the guys that hunt next to me dont figure this out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will try out a couple of different designs and post my results. I like the use of a boat anchor. I hunt in differing depths (from 1' to 15') and can't use a stake, but an anchor is already in my boat...that just leaves me bringing out a rope done up with some swivel clasps. I definitely like the bungy idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The anchor works well in deep water. I use one in open water also. for a stake I use a branch or whatever i can find at the site I dont bring it with me. Lord knows I already have enough stuff with me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
if ya want to make some cheep waits or an anchor, try using coffe can with concrete,and were my better half uses creamer in her coffee I keep the containers and use an I bolt and fill it with concrete. cheap and if ya lose a waight your not out a hole lot. 1 bag quick crete runs about 2.50 and some ones always got big coffee cans and suop cans work good also. I hope this idea helps. Horse

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
Go with the bungee approach. Just drive a stake in ground. It can be in the middle of the spread or off to the side. It really doesn't matter.

Hook the bungee to the stake and tie a string to the end of the bungee. A long soft bungee works best. I place three or four decoys in series about four feet apart back toward my hiding location or blind. A few tugs and you have motion in the ocean.

Another nice part of the bungee is you can pull it tight when the ducks are behind you and release it when they are right over the top. You don't move an inch, but the decoys move. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if you got your answer already or not but we use black 5/50 parachute cord,springs off of like screen doors,10lb free weight plates and eye bolts to push in the rice fields and keep the line completely under water,wouldn't hunt without em.

Take care,****

·
Registered
142 Posts
i use a folding anchor, looks like a grapel , folds up nice i think its about 5 lbs , bungees are the best , but old bike inner tube works too, i alse throw on a couple of 8 oz sinkers to keep the line down , *** only knows what a mess a 95 lbs lab can do when he gets all screwed up in that mess , i actully have 2 of these riged up in my boat since motorized decoys are outlawed in oregon, it works well for us , good luck.....jmike

·
Registered
39 Posts
all you guys talk about these pullstrings and i already rigged one up for ths season but do you realy think that it is all that effective?????

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes I do! Ive seen it several times last season alone where a big flock of pintails fly by nowhere in range pull the string and its like they where a yoyo. they turn right around an start working.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If this bungee type jerk cord works for ducks will it do the same for geese on the water?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont know. I have never used it. until this year I have just had shell decoys but Idont see why it wouldnt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
got 2 canadians hoked to heavy weights and bungis with no extra sting and the slitest bress bounces real good and yes I did have cans. set in my decoys on early seson ducks,ya I almost shot them but i stopped myself and just enjoyed the site and the fact they where with in 15 feet of my boat and the look they gave me when I dropped the side was priceless :laughing: it works and dous help, have a good one all

·
Registered
345 Posts
you can get a bigger splash if you rig up to the middle of the decoy instead of the front. and it gives a different look. tied one around the neck of a deke last year to look like it was feeding. :salude:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a complete jerk string rig on ebay from that guy at Znapz it works awesome it came with 5 znapz a 10' bungie 75' of decoy cord and an anchor. the bungie streches out about to 20' long and works bestwhen I pull it tight and let go when the ducks are around it looks just like 5 ducks landing and it even makes a whoosh sound when I do it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
hey guys thanks for all the info i was thinking about how i could make some but all of the other ideas of yours just better my ideas thanks again
yellow

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey all you need is a retractable dog leash they work great, all you have to do is put it on a stake out in the water and run line to it and tie a couple of dekes to the line running to you and give it a tug and then the dekes will come to you and when you let go it looks like your dekes are swimming to the dekes in you r spread works great

1 - 20 of 22 Posts