Duck Hunting Forum banner
181 - 200 of 229 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
So I also like the spreader more then your normal jerk for the reason it spreads the ducks out a little more. On the jerk cord I have always gone hen drake hen drake I really don't think it matters but who knows

· Registered
123 Posts
To me mojo types work best in field sets......birds have to fly harder to avoid a hard landing with the ground.......birds seem to flare more on water because they normally glide to finish a soft landing with thier feet stretched out like skies on water.......that's why people are turning them off to finish into thier decoy set......the look of alarmed birds taking flight is not what brings birds in range........a straight pull jerk rig works better in flooded timber.......in open water the decoys are swimming away when to let go to get your gun...... This gives the appearance of them swimming away from danger where you want them to land...........this off season I am working on a jerk rig that runs parallel to my blind/boat where groups of dekes are swimming thru other dekes toward each other when pulled and just swim back when released........this should present a much more natural look for interested birds ..........this is only one waterfowler's observation and opinion.......you may have learned a better way for both techniques

· Registered
3,595 Posts
gaducman said:
in open water the decoys are swimming away when to let go to get your gun...... This gives the appearance of them swimming away from danger where you want them to land...........this off season I am working on a jerk rig that runs parallel to my blind/boat where groups of dekes are swimming thru other dekes toward each other when pulled and just swim back when released........this should present a much more natural look for interested birds ..........this is only one waterfowler's observation and opinion.......you may have learned a better way for both techniques
That's actually an interesting thought. Are you prodding an anchor off to the side and running the jerk line through that like a pulley to make them move that direction? I'm interested in hearing how it turns out.

· Registered
705 Posts
My two cents piggy backing off your idea....jerk line for feeders and pulley system of sorts for swimmers. My brother and I are also in the process of rigging weasel ball decoys and we made a jerk spreader. The jerk spreader would look good for the pulley system one would think. :beer:

· Registered
123 Posts
Waiting on materials (carbon fiber tubes) to start build......... I want decoy lines deep enough to allow my retriever to swim through........pulleys are best for vertical motion with lines under tension.........my concept does not use pulleys.......I have some ideas that need testing.......final testing has to be hunted birds........if all goes well I have an ideas where the pull line is attached to a motorized spool that pulls for 5 seconds then releases for 5 seconds and finally a remote on/ off switch.........I have plans to use this rig from a land blind and from a boat blind

· Registered
705 Posts
gaducman said:
Waiting on materials (carbon fiber tubes) to start build......... I want decoy lines deep enough to allow my retriever to swim through........pulleys are best for vertical motion with lines under tension.........my concept does not use pulleys.......I have some ideas that need testing.......final testing has to be hunted birds........if all goes well I have an ideas where the pull line is attached to a motorized spool that pulls for 5 seconds then releases for 5 seconds and finally a remote on/ off switch.........I have plans to use this rig from a land blind and from a boat blind
Sounds like you have some good ideas coming to you. We will have to test ours out as well and we are planning on doing something similar to what you were saying about having birds swim parallel instead of swimming away from your position. If we have good success we will owe you! :thumbsup:

· Bird Whisperer
21,080 Posts
gaducman said:
To me mojo types work best in field sets......birds have to fly harder to avoid a hard landing with the ground.......birds seem to flare more on water because they normally glide to finish a soft landing with thier feet stretched out like skies on water.......that's why people are turning them off to finish into thier decoy set......the look of alarmed birds taking flight is not what brings birds in range........a straight pull jerk rig works better in flooded timber.......in open water the decoys are swimming away when to let go to get your gun...... This gives the appearance of them swimming away from danger where you want them to land...........this off season I am working on a jerk rig that runs parallel to my blind/boat where groups of dekes are swimming thru other dekes toward each other when pulled and just swim back when released........this should present a much more natural look for interested birds ..........this is only one waterfowler's observation and opinion.......you may have learned a better way for both techniques
That's an interesting take, particularly on the spinners.

· Registered
5 Posts
Use 4 dekes on my jerk string and am pretty conservative with the spinners. Usually 1-2 early season unless I'm in a field. Field shooting calls for many more.

Unless I'm on the river or a slough or there is nasty wind, I always have a jerk string out. Necessity. Use the RigEm Right with the bungee on the end.

Cash E Hogsett
[edited by moderator - link deleted]

· Registered
781 Posts
As far as the movement with a jerk cord, in addition to the anchor at the end of my cord, I also use a homemade anchor that I run my cord thru and drop it right at my boat. that keeps the entire cord underwater so there's no cord to see. As far as movement from me... if I'm hid like I'm supposed to be , not a concern. Seems to work for me. jmo

12,401 Posts
You and your buddy pull into a marsh parking lot and hour after shooting time just to scout the area. There are groups of hunters on that marsh each with 2 doz decoys, one group has a jerk cord, one group has a spinner on 6 foot poles, they are 250 yards apart and 250 yards from the parking area.
Which is going to get your attention first spinning wings or 3 decoys bobbling up and down.

The spinner every time, Id like to think that the ducks see that spinner a lot farther off than the 3 jerk string ducks as well. With that in mind I use the spinner!

· Registered
6,492 Posts
cluckmeister said:
You and your buddy pull into a marsh parking lot and hour after shooting time just to scout the area. There are groups of hunters on that marsh each with 2 doz decoys, one group has a jerk cord, one group has a spinner on 6 foot poles, they are 250 yards apart and 250 yards from the parking area.
Which is going to get your attention first spinning wings or 3 decoys bobbling up and down.

The spinner every time, Id like to think that the ducks see that spinner a lot farther off than the 3 jerk string ducks as well. With that in mind I use the spinner!
agree.. i have tried all kinds of things to get birds to finish on calm days (only time a jerk sting can ADD any motion) and i have found only one thing that consistently works. it was not a jerk string. it is aggressive calling and flash. it is not to finish birds, it is to make them pitch hard on the first pass. its what work for me.

· Registered
1,723 Posts
cluckmeister said:

Sure, they will see the spinner first, that spinner might be the reason that spread is the first one they avoid as well. Theres no perfect solution. Every hunt is different, u never know whats gonna work. Better to have both and try something til it works.

· Registered
36 Posts
I view mojos as an attention getter, not used after the first week or so of the season to pull ducks. I have found that it works well to get the attention of ducks, but that a flag works just as well in conjunction with calling and a lot less effort and space taken up. Ducks are air drying their wings pretty consistently of you look at a flock on the water. Don't see too many birds hovering in one spot for the duration of the birds circling.

· Registered
646 Posts
LukeB said:
I view mojos as an attention getter, not used after the first week or so of the season to pull ducks. I have found that it works well to get the attention of ducks, but that a flag works just as well in conjunction with calling and a lot less effort and space taken up. Ducks are air drying their wings pretty consistently of you look at a flock on the water. Don't see too many birds hovering in one spot for the duration of the birds circling.
Get a remote to turn the wings on and off. noise will flare the birds, not the constant flapping, they dont just see it and think "hmm, its just hovering" they don't have that thought process. Ive had birds land right under the mojo and not mind that the wings were still going. If it starts making noise though, then they get spooked.

· Registered
212 Posts
Rick Hall said:
gaducman said:
That's an interesting take, particularly on the spinners.
Very interesting thought , I got a Lucky Duck with the "flapper wings" that might change it up?

· Registered
6,281 Posts
By not having a half-doz of every kind of spinning / flapping decoy , what's going to entertain you when you don't know ,
how to call ? Funny thing is , as I built my first spinner back in 1978/9 , it still works on today's birds , along with my DR 85
and Cut-down !

181 - 200 of 229 Posts