Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everyones opinion on kents shells and what do you have to base your opinions on let me know good or bad
thanks

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I've had no problems with it. Cheaper than most other brands.

I think the single biggest misperception out that is that how important High Velocity shot shells really is. Regardless of brand, 1500 fps kills birds dead, 1350fps cripples them.

Some will pattern thier shotgun with diferent chokes, loads, and brands for the best patterns, which I do.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think the single biggest misperception out that is that how important High Velocity shot shells really is. Regardless of brand, 1500 fps kills birds dead, 1350fps cripples them.
im gonna have to disagree, i use the super x winchesters and i have never had a crippled bird fly away, if you put out a good shot, you dont need to worry about crippling them, yes, ive had a couple of crips on the water, but i shoot them immediately

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The number of cripples was reduced by 75% when using HV compared to the old standard velocity loads of 7 years ago. That is my experience-and I'll stick with it. :yes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Puddlejumper what planet are you from. The primary reason for HV shells is to make up for the downrange energy lost by using lighter steel pellets. Sure, you dont need the HV if your using hevi shot or the like but who likes paying $25.00 for a box of 10? You can get by with using your Xs if you spend a lot of time shooting in the off season but most people dont. Then again some get the HV shells thinking they have justified their SKY BUSTING which is all wrong. Some get in more trouble with HV shells, but I don't know anyone who chooses payload over HV

·
Registered
135 Posts
fasteel is better than any remingtons I've ever used cheaper than any other HV shells practice to get lead right. (will be a little less) keep shots inside 40 yrds and you'll have all the birds you can eat.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Kents look deadly out of my Nova...Not so great out of my Berreta, Federal Classic looked good out of it. Pattern your gun with a few different loads, ya maybe surprised at the differences. Stop by your local butcher shop and pick up ya some wrapping paper, will be worth the extra effort, I guarentee! Ah yea...I use modified for all steel.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Love Kent. Shot a gobbler with it on opening day of fall turkey. He took off flying and one shot was all it took. If it can do that to a 20 lb gobbler at 25 yds imagine what it will do to a duck in the decoys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Haven't tried any kent but my next box will be just that.....I agree, speed kills!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I love kent fasteel. It patterns great out of my 870 and kills ducks. I've made some pretty amazing shots with it, shots I shouldn't even have taken but it folded ducks up like it was hevi shot. When I can afford Hevi-shot I use it, but 90% of the time I've got fasteel loaded in my gun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used a couple of boxes of Kent for the first time this year (always used Remington) and it seemed to do the job. I agree with h20--definitely stick with HV ammo of which patterns the best with your equip

·
Registered
29 Posts
kent #2 are where its at for steel my groop made some 75 yrd shots that killed them before they hit the water learn to leed them choose one load and stick to it you will learn its limits you will kill more ducks!!! shoot some at skeet at diffrent ranges also to help ajust. I wish kent wolud come out with hevi steel !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
none!!! we have like 5 people shooting and we all nail them. never had a cripple we olny shoot what we know can kill!!! :umm: :thumbsup: we arren crule!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hmm... I have a full choke and when I patterned 3 1/2 2s going 1550 fps I am not confident at 75 yards I could consistantly put enough pellets in the bird to kill them. That is if the duck was standing still on a pole not moving at all.

Your group must be a lot more skilled than me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
times the number of pellets you counted times it by ten say we all shoot twice even if we all missed 1 time. times it by five we shoot pattern masters and 3 1/2 1s or 2s kent baby. I know how far cuse we use a range finder. THAT ENOUGHF PELLETS FOR YOU?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
outdoorsetc1 said:
times the number of pellets you counted times it by ten say we all shoot twice even if we all missed 1 time. times it by five we shoot pattern masters and 3 1/2 1s or 2s kent baby. I know how far cuse we use a range finder. THAT ENOUGHF PELLETS FOR YOU?!?!?!?!
Hopefully you can shoot better than you spell....

:toofunny:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Steel Ballistic chart

Shot size 6 5 4 3 2 1 B BB BBB T

1450 fps 43 47 51 55 58 62 65 70 73 77
1500 fps 44 48 52 56 59 64 68 71 75 79
1550 fps 45 49 53 57 61 65 69 73 77 81
1600 fps 46 50 54 58 62 66 71 75 78 82
1650 fps 47 51 55 59 63 67 72 76 80 84
1700 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86
1750 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86
1800 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86

The above chart shows the yardage at which the velocity becomes 575 fps, the minimum penetration ( killing ) velocity. Notice that there is no advantage of velocities greater than 1650 fps for 5 and 6's and 1700 fps for 4 to T's

I had downloaded and saved this from what h2ofwlr had posted awhile back.

Ballistically 2 shot is limited to 61 yds MAXIMUM lethal range at 1550fps. So I say you are skybusting. Heck most guys are incapable of consistently hitting a moving target at 35 yds much less 75 yds. Based on this I say we better get the waders on as the crap is getting very deep around here. :umm:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I kill the fast little buggers so thats all that matters. I will be the first to admit I shoot better than I spell. :yes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts