Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t heard much about this load but snagged some of them up being it was all I was able to find in 20ga.

I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been much talk on these shells (maybe a good thing?) being that they have been out since 2018/19 I believe. I also remember that there was an issue with some shells early on causing barrels to blow on some guns. I also remember that this was apparently limited to 1 3/8oz 3” 12ga loads.

Does anyone have any insight good or bad to these loads in general or specific to the 3” 7/8oz #3’s I picked up in 20ga? Also, if anyone has any insight as to whether or not they resolved the issue that was causing the blown up barrels and if I should be at all worried about the possibility of that happening by shooting these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've used a fair whack of Kent Fasteel without any issues. I would be more inclined to attribute blown barrels to user error (mud or snow in the barrel). That said, I haven't used the 2.0 yet. I assume it's the same load in a different box, but that is an assumption. I have picked up a couple boxes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have limited experience with the 2.0 20 ga 3" #2 steel. No issues at all. I've always had good luck with kent ammo in the past.

·
Super Moderator
25,617 Posts
Keep in mind they aren't going to knowingly sell shells that could kill someone I'm sure that anything that remotely had to do with any issues has been recalled . I've got them in 20 and like them just fine

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I haven't had the chance to shoot any 20. I do believe the fasteel 2.0 in 12ga is the old silversteel. I'm sure the 2.0 in 20ga is just fasteel with plated shot but that is just an educated guess. Kent has always been good stuff and worked well for me, the old fasteel 20ga 4's were the ticket.

·
Registered
685 Posts
As good a factory load as you can get. Blown barrels are usually caused by something plugging them and firing a second shot. A bad powder charge or bad primer could leave the wad in the barrel. If something sounds off or feels off don't just jack another shell in and pull the trigger without checking the bore. I hear/see bloopers all the time on the skeet field when powder charges get missed in the loading process. Wad is almost always stuck in the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually shoot black cloud but now buy whatever I can find due to the shortage, so I picked up a couple boxes of Kent faststeel. I’ve noticed the faststeel shoots quite a bit higher than the black cloud or any other shell I use. I was about halfway through a box of it with zero ducks when I finally wounded one and went out to finish it off and put the bead where I normally do and sure enough all the shot went right over the bird. My second shot I aimed way under the bird and covered it. The next time I had a flock come in I again aimed way under them and got a couple.

·
Administrator
42,633 Posts
I usually shoot black cloud but now buy whatever I can find due to the shortage, so I picked up a couple boxes of Kent faststeel. I’ve noticed the faststeel shoots quite a bit higher than the black cloud or any other shell I use. I was about halfway through a box of it with zero ducks when I finally wounded one and went out to finish it off and put the bead where I normally do and sure enough all the shot went right over the bird. My second shot I aimed way under the bird and covered it. The next time I had a flock come in I again aimed way under them and got a couple.
Not had that issue. For me, Kents have been as consistent as I've tried. I don't look at the bead when I shoot though.

·
Registered
20,720 Posts
Don't know if that's even possible. Do know it shoots as straight for me as anything else - or I've somehow unconsciously been shooting under them with Fast Steel 2.0...

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Don't know if that's even possible. Do know it shoots as straight for me as anything else - or I've somehow unconsciously been shooting under them with Fast Steel 2.0...
Its not. Well a speed difference would cause a difference in POI but only about 1" at 40yd.

Your gun always shoots high, you just now noticed it when looking for a solution to the problem. Im guessing your gun just doesnt pattern kents well, rem/browning/win typically dont like euro wads. Benelli love them. Then again, shooting high you probably are shooting a Benelli.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts