Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends of mine and I are planning a trip to either Louisiana or Arkansas this winter around Christmas. Any tips on where to go for good hunting on public land? We'll be driving over from Georgia. We're poor college students so we can't afford to fly or to get guides but we're really avid, so any help on a good public area in one of those states would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that we have boats so public water is really what we're looking for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get an detailed map of the missisip and look for lakes and holes off the river on reserves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
gadckhntr,

i will try and get the map the only problem is that you have to print a bunch of different maps to get the real detail so we will have to try and pin point some areas of at most 20 square miles.....

this is the most awesome sight I have ever seen!!

:salude:

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you guys wonna come have some real duck huntin fun come on we'd love to have you. My name is Jamie Barnette and i hunt all over North east LA. I to was a poor college student once but now Im a 28yr old contractor who loves to duck hunt and will help you free of charge. Like any where else scouting is essential. The Miss. river is great depending on the water level, u must have back water, but theres a million places to kill ducks just haveta know where. Any thing i can do just ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that is awesome

back water is what i am used to hunting...i use a go devil boat so i am used to getting in any place with water...we usually plan for our entire first day to be scouting and then scout each day after the hunt...NE Louisiana sounds like an awesome place to hunt...thanks for your offering your help

could you let me know the closest town to your area that you hunt....so we can find it on the map....thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are 2 towns that would easily access you to some great duck hunting. Tallulah and Lake Providence are both in mind but keep in touch and i'll let you know were the most duck action is prior to your trip. We scout and get reports everyday. Looking forward to duck season, had great teal action all weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Venice, Louisiana if your up for the ride to the tip of louisiana. Im originally from Port Sulphur La which is about 30-40 minutes away,and i still have most of my family in Port Sulphur.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Saline Reservoir is usually pretty good in Central La. Be sure to have a good map if you want to hunt out of your boat, it is pretty easy to get lost. There is also plenty of flooded timber to hunt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm from Louisiana, just south of New Orleans and I know the feeling about being a poor college kid. I work as a commmercial fisherman during the summer to have money for hunting season and take classes two or three days a week to hunt asa much as I can. I've been looking into traveling this year and though I should help someone whos doing the same thing. Most of the public land down here is hunting in either fresh or salt marsh. All I hunt is public land and the one problem is the competition. Venice and the Mississippi delta is definetly a good choice Pass a loutra WMA is down there as well as a NWR, but i cant think of the name. Going down the River in a small boat can get very dangerous though, and the fog gets bad down there even for someone who is used to it. Big Branch NWR, on the north shore of lake Ponchatrain is a good choice, Slavador WMA, Point Aux Chenes WMA, The Atchafalaya delta WMA has some really good hunting as well. Louisiana department of Wildlife and fisheries site is WWW.wlf.state.us they have maps of all the WMAs or the NWR site has maps of the NWRs. The most up-to-date photos of the area I have found are www.lacoast.gov but you will probably have trouble finding the areas you are looking for on the photos. If you are interested in any other info feel free to contact me oh yeah... and Louisiana has the highest duck harvest of any state. and I'm sure the majority of that comes from the southern part of the state Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts