Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!
My male lab ears have been infected for about 3 weeks with some yellow discharge. I took him to the vet Wednesday will be a week he gave me some ear cleanser and them some ear drops to put in them. I have been doing that and his ears still seem to be as bad looking as they were a week ago. Any Toughts??? This is really bothering me and more so him

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Well I am certainly no expert. But this is my 2 bits on it. Maybe next step is to check the white cell count. Maybe he has a bad enough infection (white cell count would be elevated) that an antibiotic is in order. and thus with the stuff given to you is not working. It certainly is worth a call to the Vet to express your concerns if nothing else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i carried my lab also and the vet had two different cleaners. The one i got had a alcohol base to it. (clensing/drying ear solution by Otirinse ) That helps dry the ears from the water down deep. Take a tissue and wipe out as much of the cleaner as possible. Then he gave me some topical ointment called ( Tritop ) to squeeze into the ear and massage it in. it has worked for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been dealing with my dog's ears since he was a pup. He is a yellow and from what I have been told, yellows are more subject to ear infections, and other skin irritations. I have tried many things including antibiotics, inner ear medications and ear washes, but if left unmaintained, flair-ups would return. I have paid a fortune for these treatments, and in looking for an effective, cheaper treatment, I was led to this home remedy. Here are the proportions:

16 ounces of rubbing alcohol
16 drops gentian violet liquid (sold with Merthiolate)
4 Tablespoons boric acid

All of these ingredients can be found at any pharmacy. Mix ingredients together and put into squeeze bottle. Treat affected ears 2 times daily for two weeks and once daily after two weeks until clear. Continue to use solution as needed and as a drying solution after swimming.

The idea is to treat the irritations with the alcohol and the gentian violet liquid and the boric acid also works as an antiseptic but mostly is used to increase the acidity of the ear. If the problem is yeast based, this solution will work well with over the counter, cheap ingredients. You will want to thoroughly clean the ears with the solution and cotton balls, and then continue with the solution. The trick is to get the ear healthy, and keep it cleaned and acidic to reduce the chances of reinfection. I keep a bottle in my truck so that I can dry and treat his ears as soon as out of the water. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot to mention, shake the bottle well each time you squeeze it to keep the boric acid in solution. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've seen that before, I'd use what sesh said, sounds good, where did you hear about it??, I've been to about 6 or 7 vet's around here, and I still haven't found one I like, at all, I'm still looking for a good one, but if you change up who you take your dog's to you get different treatment's/responses, maybe you should try someone else, just a thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had him on cipiro antibiotics and it did help but I have forked out alot of money as well and am still training him. I will do this and I REALLY appreciate your advice :salude:

·
Registered
352 Posts
rlp1970 said:
I have had him on cipiro antibiotics and it did help but I have forked out alot of money as well and am still training him. I will do this and I REALLY appreciate your advice :salude:
I have a now 11yrs old black lab and he has had cronic ear problems all his life. With him it has never completely went away, I have to everyday clean his ears and have went threw deep ear cleanings and multiple types of antibiotics. Also try changing your dog food this seams to help if you can find a brand that helps (pro plan) helped him . Good luck, dont get frustrated and always try to make it somewhat fun for the dog.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My vet suggested 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 water, and 1/3 white vinegar as a cheap alternative to the designer ear rinses. I suggested 2/3 cheap vodka plus 1/3 white vinegar, and she said that would work too. :)

They took a sample from her ears, and found it was yeast. The ear rinse stuff keeps it in check, but doesn't seem to truly get rid of it on its own. The only thing that knocks it out (until it comes back again a couple months later) is ketoconazole pills that kill the yeast.

The other place it affects her is in her paws. She's always chewing and licking them, and the vet took a sample and confirmed yeast infections there as well. Again, the ketoconazole clears that up really well, and a bit of prednisone does wonders for getting rid of the itch in the short term while the ketoconazole works.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just a thought here, my lab pup had a fit with infected ears a short time ago. The vet gave me the cleaning solutions as you have all described however he was more concerned about what caused the problem versus constantly treating it. One item he stressed upon was that labs tend to have huge problems with food alergies. I switched my pups food before trying the drops and guess what?? No more ear infections and no more rampant scratching. Try that or ask your vets opinions about food alergies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, my vet was big on that too, and had me switch from lamb/rice food to rabbit/potato. We did the food switch at the same time as doing the meds. Although things cleared up right away (I'm assuming from the meds), about a month later the ear and paw infections came right back. :thumbsdown: I switched back to lamb/rice since it's a lot cheaper.

The vet had said that if that food switch didn't work, he'd want me to switch to buying stew meat (deer, and bear, if I remember correctly) and vegetables, and cooking special dog food myself in big batches and freezing it for use later.

I figured it would be less work to just clean the ears and paws a couple times a week to keep things in check, than to commit to cooking special food mixes for her. She seems pretty content with this, other than not really liking it when I put liquid in her ears.

What food did you switch to? I might give that a try to see if things improve.

·
Registered
168 Posts
She had a problem with science diet. We then tried eukanuba and nutro brands witht he same results. The purina one lamb and rice was the first one we tried that started to clear her up and the one we use now is actually "costco" brand called kirkland lamb and rice. So far it is doing great, nice coat, good growth and um stools as well as no more ear issues. Maybe it was a bacteria she had but so fare we have been 4 months with no problems 2 weeks after we found this food that agreed with her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i would like to know the same thing! my springer has had infected ears for months and the vets and we havent found anything that helps! because of the infection she is hard of hearing and that is a pain

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well my lab has been ear problem free for excatley a year and problem have started again. Breaking out the old cipiro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dog's ears have been clean since I switched her food to Flint River Ranch Trout and Potato. It took meds (specifically ketoconazole pills) to clear up the infections, but I think the food is keeping them from coming back. She still licks at her paws, but not as badly as before and they're not red and sore looking between the toes. She doesn't seem to like it when her feet are wet. I've been trimming the fur on the bottoms of her feet so she doesn't trap as much moisture down there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yellow Lab of 7 years and ear infections have come and gone and come back again. Done the food shuffle and the antibiotics.

Vet suggested 75% alcohol (99% pure) and 25% white vinegar. Twice a day for two weeks and he stops shaking his head.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my black lab got his left ear infected from a pot-hole when he was about 6, hes 14 now and it still hasnt cleared up, weve tried medication, vinegar...the whole bit, nothing seems to clear it up...it seems to be worse during the warmer months

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
My hunting partners Flat coat retriever has an on going problem with his ears and he has taken the dog to two reputable vets only to be told the same thing and that is his dog has allergies and they put him on some meds for it and bingo ........... the ears cleared up. My beagle gets all stuffed up if I use straw in he house for bedding and her eyes get all ***** and that is allergies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts