Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
bri,

It's hard provide good ideas without knowing a little more. Where did you get the dog from...A reputable breeder? FT/HT lines? Proven hunting stock? Has it ever shown a desire to retrieve?

With what you provided, I recommend laying off the OB for abit. In the past, I've seen dogs that were focused a lot on OB tend to be a little slower to develop in retrieving/hunting training? Of course this is not all dogs, but remember each pup is different. When did you start the OB? How often do you mix in fun retrieving? Did you throw 2-4 bumpers only when the pup was young or did you throw until the pup quit?

OB is the fundamental foundation for building a solid gundog, but within that lies a delicate balance to keep the desire alive to retrieve/hunt. I'd stress short, fun retrieving sessions for pup. Maybe you can incorporate a wing zip tied to a dummy.

Please take the time to share more...

Mike

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Are you just now discovering that your pup doesn't enjoy retrieving ?

Like Taddy said, please supply more info..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
My Viszla is only interested in playing fetch for a few retrives then she gets bored. I don't push her so when I want her to retrive she is fine.

But put her in the field on birds and she is all action.

She also loves blind retrives and playing hide and seek with a Real Pheasant Dummy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are you making it challenging for him/her. I have found that with most dogs like the above mentioned they really like to retrieve, but are bored with you throwing a simple marked retrieve numerous times. If she is 8mo you should be working on blinds,lines, marks and hand signals to keep the pup interested. Try adding in pigeons, dead, live and dummies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not a professional by any means ......but I did just go through the whole training thing just a few months ago...obviously I still do lots and lots of training ...but the core skills have been met....I have two labs ...one a very high energy 19 month old male that LOVES to hunt and retrieve...sometimes his energy gets him in trouble ...and a very mellow, sincere 13 month old female......both of their personalities caused me some worries in the beginning and through training......my male was so excited that he would break early and when released just run like crazy with no real structure or point.......he still has high energy ...but it is much more controlled and does a great job finding and retreiving birds/dummies......my female .....well she is the polar opposite and why my fiance and I can survive some days .....as a pup she would retrieve 3-5 bumpers max and then lay down .....she would walk or slowly jog to the bumpers pick them up and then walk back .....my male could have picked up 10 by the time she got one ......anyways.....after many months of fun bumpers and seeing her "big brother" get excited retrieving she is an excellent hunter with good drive, amazing hunting skills and excellent instincts ...she can find a blind retreive on her own 99.9% of the time ....Now this long story why you say .....well both of my dogs ...which sometimes I wanted to give up ...for opposite reasons ......totally came into their own around the 8 month mark ......and since then it has been such an awsome and rewarding experience ....sooooo the advice that I could give is keep it fun ....stick in there ...and you and your pup will have some great memories

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.