Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As any residents of the D/FW area know...we experienced some pretty cold weather today....I decided to go out to Lake Bardwell and give it a shot, ( no pun intended) man, I had a blast...the coots that are normally very wary of ANY movement were all over the place.

I just threw on some hip wader and a dozen bluebill dekes and that was all it took....I know that coots are not the most glorious species to hunt but I had a blast. First time I ever shot a limit of them (15).

I have a new appreciation for them. Any body up for some coot hunting, let me know.

Happy Holidays

:salude:

·
Registered
658 Posts
If the ducks aren't flying, (or they are flying and just like our setup), once boredom sets in we usually have to pop one or two of them. Can't say I've ever targeted coots only. How do they taste? I've talked to one guy that says he loves 'em. Cooked on the pit. I didn't hold too much stock in his opinion though, since an old tennis shoe would probably taste good when prepared correctly on the pit. :toofunny:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be honest...coots are not that good usually. Best to put them in som gumbo. They are pretty good that way. I beleive if you shoot it you should eat it so that's what I do.

On a much better note...I went out this morning (Thursday Dec 23 and saw a small group of Mallards...FINALLY!

To most of you guys this may not be a big deal but I dont mind admitting that I have yet to kill a Mallard duck in 8 years of Duck Hunting.

Cant wait to go again in the morning....any takers?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. Cause, I've been hunting for about 10 years and have only taken one. Most of what we take are Teal, Widgeon, Gadwall, Northern Shovelors and on occasion a Redhead.

Had too much going on this weekend with Christmas an all, plus a 6 month old son to get out in the field. It was killing me to. Woukld have loved to be out in the marsh with the snow on the ground

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been hunting ducks for three years, and I have not taken a Mallard-just a few blue bills on the east coast, and a Gadwall and a couple mergansers here in Tx. Have seen tons of them, just not swooping into my decoys. Hey Texas Quacker-where is Lake Bardwell? I live in Dallas, and i'm looking for places to hunt next season.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lake Bardwell is located 30 miles south of the Big D, just outside of Ennis, Tx. Easily accesible by foot or boat and has some pretty good hunting for public water. Send me a message and maybe I can give more info.

Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
I havent had really good luck on killin mallards in the past few years, but this year I hunted Lake Aquilla near Hillsboro and shot more mallards in three days of hunting than I have ever seen in my life. I even got one with some jewelry on his foot. It is a tough lake to navigate in the dark because there is no boat lanes and about 90% of the lake is stumps (thank god for Stainless Steel Props). I have not tried it but I think you could walk across the lake on the stumps. I put in at the boat ramp and had about a 1 1/2 mile trip to the north end of the lake in broad daylight and it took 1 1/2 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.