Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eh Yo fellas........First time poster, checkin on interest in a small Flight update schedule. Nothing formal obviously. I am in Nortthern Minnesota and looking to help prepare those of you that are south of the Big Winnie area for current micro flights this coming late season. Also, looking for a heads up from anyone in Canada or Lake of the Woods area. Besides the cold snaps and artic pushes, there are flukes in big flocks coming early so give a shout eh. Thanks [/b]

·
Registered
34 Posts
You say that you are in the Winnie area. I hunt just east of there, south of Bigfork. We have had pretty good luck so far this year, shooting quite a few woodies, a fair number of mallards, a few ringnecks and some geese. Do you hunt on Winnie? A group of us are planning to hunt Winnie for a few days in late october, hopefully trying to catch a northern flight. I have never hunted Winnie, but hunted in the area a lot. If you do hunt Winnie give me the 411 please. I have heard some fair warnings from some old timers on some pretty aggressive, established groups that are not welcome to new hunters. I am not looking for any trouble. We are planning on heading up to the third river flowage. If anyone has any info on hunting Winnie let me know please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello MinnDuck, A less general area in in the bowstring area, where I hunt. That last cold snap about a week ago presented a nice bulk of northern birds for our group. A few bluebills but lots of big ringbill flocks. Honestly, this is the best year I have ever had in MN thus far. Anyway, I hunt winnie off tamarack pt. Its a wading deal and yeah, there are some well established parties out there. never hunted third river but pressured to all the time. Other then all that, regular number of woodies and mals around swan lake area. good hunting....

·
Registered
7 Posts
trapper, that is great that you offer the heads up!. i have hunted on the third river before........and lived to tell about it!. i did get my truck busted into though at the launch.........but it was during the "riceng" season. so i would advise to not leave valuables in the vehicle, deputy says it happens all the time. i know people that just leave there vehicles unlocked so they can look and leave without the break and enter...........anyway......i wanted to try some different areas this year on the west side, do you happen to know where those "established" pansies, i mean parties hunt?.

you hunt tamarack?........with the predominant nw winds how is that to hunt?.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is hunting the third river flowage really worth it? Is the shooting normally good, I know depending on the flights. I just do not want to go there and step on toes and worry about getting messed with all the time. We were probably going to camp too. So there is a possibility for more problems. I was just wondering if you fellas think the hunting will be worth the aggrevation? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys just reading your posts, I have hunted there for three years know and only ran into one problem.A so called group wanted my spot that I got to at 4:00 am in the bitter cold,a few words were said by them and than they set up 50yards from me.Good thing I was on the right side the ducks wanted to come in on.Other than that one time everyone has been pretty nice.I usally hunt leech alot,I drive from over by emily.Hope that helps a little,I also heard that ball club lake is quite well,would like to try it,any info on that lake? :thumbsup: SHOOT STRAIGHT AND KILLEM ALL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I can't totally remember who said what so I just wanted to give some general comments. Tamarack Pt. has a few groups that hunt on the very northwest tip and a few down the northerly exposed side closer the three sisters. there is a couple acres of reed grass out from the landing (not the birches) that offers a good set up for a spread and leaves plenty of swinging room for the birds. I have to say though, most of the birds we shoot are skimming the decoys coming out of the southwest. We have never had another party out there with us. Probably because most people don't want to stand in chest high water in late november. Sink a few boats and it gets easier. My opinion on going into third river is, well, not to if you think it would come with too much crap. Honestly, if the birds are around, there are other quality spots to go. Thats what I think. take care

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey how deerp is it off tamarack point? Is it worth going out there and trying to hunt from waders or a small layout boat if you dont have a dog. I have been trying to get out on some big water but hard to go when I don't have a big water boat and friends that go. I drove out there yesterday after I got my limit of ringnecks nearby and looked decent. I know if its too windy I wouldn't risk my life dont worry :) Id like to try and get out there sometime next week if anyone wants to give it a try!

Also, anyone know if ball club is decent for hunting? Any good points or bullrushes off shore? I hunted cut foot sioux last year with a buddie and we did alright, but hes got the boat and is all into deer hunting this time of the year. I have seen lots of ringnecks and a few bills yesterday over by remer. Hopefully it picks up soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.