Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions of good locations to hunt in the south zone of CT for the late season. I have had great success hunting geese this year but the area I hunt closes Jan 13th looking for somewhere to contuine hunting.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'll be heading down Wed for the last goose hunt during the regular season - it looks like there are still ALOT of birds around!.....the late season is excellent IF a few factors come together (cold and snow) to force the geese onto the Sound - try down the southern end of the state - Noank for example - and of course there is the Wheeler WMUnit at the mouth of the Housie - that is my favorite spot and I have done several limits out of there - but you pretty much need a decent sized boat/motor to handle the current and ice - I don't go into the marsh as much as I hunt the Sound waters.....had a few "hairy' hunts out there!!!! There is a way to get in via a canoe or walk-in, but you are very limited on using decoys and you pretty much have to have a dog.....I've never considered this a great alternative and I do not know the exact location/road

Barn Island is another decent spot up near the RI border....another need for a decent sized boat though and I have always used a large set of blocks there

There are very few fields in the coastal zone, but a friend has one in the Stonington area and they do pretty well there

Ever try scouting your own spots? Alot of birds work the shore from Cornfield Point and along the Saybrook marshes/coves.....and there always seems to be a few around Great Island.....I hunted Saybrook along the CT at the mouth of South Cove a couple years back and did very good using floaters and full bodies on the sand bar.....just put a tank full of gas in and run the shore with your spotting scope or binoculars to get the best locations....the east end and CT River areas probably afford you the best observation places since the western end of the shore is heavily populated.

good luck! and please post what you find....since I have to travel four or more hours I really appreciate local updates!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey going to give barn island a try have been scouting stoneington for a corn field to hunt. I had a great season in Preston Leydard area limited almost ever hunt accept one. I have been scouting all week and knocking on a few doors but no luck yet on a new spot. Good luck with your late season let u know how i make out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.