·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(D) Special Management Areas
Area Species Season
1. North Coast All Canada Geese

From the first Thursday in November extending for a
period of 88 days (Nov. 1 - Jan. 27) (Regular Season)
and from the fourth Saturday in February extending for 17
days (Feb. 23 - Mar. 10) (Late Season). During the Late
Season, hunting is not permitted on public areas.

are any of you planning on going up there..???
or, any of you know someone who hunts or hunted this
late season hunt before and if so how did they do...?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
There is some general information on COHA's site directly, or through this thread:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=57790

A maximum total of 592 hunters participated in the SHARE Pilot Program (assuming that all hunters showed up on their hunt days). Hunters were required to submit a small application fee for each hunt date and property, and were then selected randomly via lottery. No additional entrance or other fees were imposed but every participant was also required to submit a signed liability waiver.

In response to the high demand for the Aleutian goose hunts, those hunters who were drawn but could not attend their hunt(s) were encouraged by the SHARE administrators via mail to donate their hunts to others who were not selected in the lottery. This effort allowed an additional two dozen or so hunters to participate, while helping landowners keep depredating geese out of their pastures.

13 total landowners participated in the SHARE Pilot Program. Total private land acreage made available through the program was 6,335 acres. A small portion of the hunts (2 total properties) were limited to junior and/or first time women hunters in an effort to encourage new individuals into the field.

Feedback from participating hunters via phone calls, letters and e-mail was excellent, with generally good to fair hunting success reported with overall high quality experiences. Many hunters have additionally urged that the program continue in future years. However, some who were not drawn for the program have recommended changes to the lottery system in order to ensure greater hunter participation. COHA staff members are currently evaluating these recommendations.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've hunted it since it's inception. Sucked last year for us (4 birds for 4 guns in 7 hunts), so far has sucked this year :thumbsdown: . 4 us today saw about 30,000 Aleutians all on PUBLIC land, which as you highlighted is NOT huntable. Having access to 3 different ranches to hunt, we didn't even fire a shot. We didn't even really hear hardly any shooting, but we did see waves and waves of geese. The thing with this hunt is you often only need one flock to limit out, so it's the odds of being in the right spot at the right time. So as you can imagine, it is a low probability of success hunt. Statistically I think more hunters in California bagged a buck last year than they did an Aleutian in the spring season. Anyway, I'd be interested to see if anyone did any good. There are usually at least a few ranches out there where guys get into them!

On another note, I'd say the program is working...geese are staying situated on the public lands and not on farmers'/ranchers' fields! So I guess that is a plus as far as the program goes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tom Phillips* said:
There is some general information on COHA's site directly, or through this thread:

Hunters were required to submit a small application fee for each hunt date and property, ... No additional entrance or other fees were imposed but every participant was also required to submit a signed liability waiver.
This is wrong. That was the Pilot Program, which was nice because it allowed the poor hunter, such as myself, to put an application into the ranches that held a higher probability of success. This year they totally screwed the poor man by charging an application fee and then a trespass fee which consisted of $20 per day per hunter. Since each hunt is a 2-day hunt, that amounts to $40 per hunt date. Doesn't seem like much, but when you are someone who ends up with $15-$20 on average to last a week until the next paycheck (this month is $29, so still not enough), it's definitely the same as saying $10,000! :mad:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quack Addict said:
Tom Phillips* said:

Hunters were required to submit a small application fee for each hunt date and property, ... No additional entrance or other fees were imposed but every participant was also required to submit a signed liability waiver.
This is wrong. That was the Pilot Program, which was nice because it allowed the poor hunter, such as myself, to put an application into the ranches that held a higher probability of success. This year they totally screwed the poor man by charging an application fee and then a trespass fee which consisted of $20 per day per hunter. Since each hunt is a 2-day hunt, that amounts to $40 per hunt date. Doesn't seem like much, but when you are someone who ends up with $15-$20 on average to last a week until the next paycheck (this month is $29, so still not enough), it's definitely the same as saying $10,000! :mad:
It's not wrong, it's just what happened last year. It's too bad they changed it so much this year. I suppose they are trying to figure out what the market will bear.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Online through the DFG website. Look for the SHARE program. They have downloadable applications. Applications are due in early January. If you have a long drive to get up to the Eureka area, I wouldn't even bother doing it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rough hunt.

Tough to watch 25000 plus birds pile onto grazing fields on a public W.A.

That was Saturday. Even tougher to deal with flocks of 200 to 400 birds.

Sunday wern't to bad. A few handfuls won't have to worry about the long flight home

Anybody know the clowns that got the ticketed for using a cow decoy.

MOOOOOOOOOOOla.

Or the clowns that wacked the two Honkers?

The man was out in force this weekend.

Anybody wanna buy my permits for the next two weekend shoots?

FYI.

stay home . save your gas money and buy yourself a new toy. You'll be much happier in the end.
If your a local, this is the hunt for you.
If your Joe Blow weekend super duper refuge hunter, your wasting your time. It aint gona happen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My vote would be stupid. You could be blind and tell the two apart just by sound.

The use of a mammal decoy to hunt birds is illegal. Stupid law I think.

The way around it is to cut out a Triseratops (sp) and paint it like a dairy cow.

Birds won't know the difference and it's not a mammal.

I think Napoleon Dynamite drew one up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anybody know the dfg code for the cow decoy being illegal. Ive never heard of the law. They even sell cow decoys in cabelas in the waterfowl catalog.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no, but I'd take this pic and show the judge.....
whats up judge, they sell decoys for this purpose....

MSRP: $79.99.
$PECIAL $ALE: $49.99

how many cows were there....????
if there were like 10, that would have been 499.00
you saved a bundle the way I see it....... :yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
what is up with the cow decoy reg..... aparantly i have not read deep enough into the regs .... this was gonna be my "secret weapon" against these pesky critters. I was gonna buy the one's from cabelas but now im having second thoughts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just talked to a fish and game friend. The law states that you cant use a LIVESTOCK decoy to take game. Apparently its been around since the 50s. I like the tricerotops decoy idea personally.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.