Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built their own layout boat? they seem so expensive, I have an 18' duck boat but i would really like to try the layout shooting is it worth it? I thought maybe I could make my own if I had some plans or ideas. Thanks to all that can help.......

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did a bit of investigating on this a couple of weeks ago. I read an article that said to expect to spend around 500 dollars to build a high quality layout. You may be able to find a used one for around the same price.

Marsh-monster.com has info and plans you can buy. Put "duck boats" or layout boats" into yahoo and you'll find some more info.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have seen do it yourself kits, where the moive/book is $25.00 and the materials is around $150.00 that to me sounds great. I really like those ufo style layout boats.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
first off...I am not bashing Marsh Monster, however, I have their plans and there are alot of 'issues'...and I am only one in a slew of posters that have encountered problems....the very best homemade plans for a true layout (much like the MightyLayout Boys Classic or the Bankes) is from Paul Busick!!!!! Plans are exact! In reality, I would expect to pay out more like $750 - $800 in quality materials for the Busick model, although it is claimed to be in the $500 range.....thank you Mr. Bush for the high cost of wood products

There is another boat that is sortuv a layout/sneak/marsh boat...the first made and I learned alot about boat building.....check Remmark Associates at: Remmark.com/layoutboat I improved upon the original quite a bit, but if you are not experienced in doing such simple things as rabbit joints and scarffing etc, they provide a super little video covering their entire process. I learned alot and even built a watertight layout coffin on the same concepts.

Check on duck boat hunting specifications page and check out the boat listed by a fellow called Missed Again.....I have not made one yet, but might someday....his plans are very easy and the boat is small and lightweight.

A couple other options I have not done yet but one I will be doing this spring....1. get a scrapped sunfish and modify it....a friend has done one and it is super....and he grasses it completely for in the marsh....the other option is a foam core from insulation foam fiberglassed over...that is what I will be making this year. Same concept as a surf board.

As mentioned, you may be better off getting a 'commercial' model for about what it would cost to build one. Remember, the materials are a fraction of the real cost when you consider the hours invested! I bought an almost out of the box MLB for $1,000 which saved me a bunch after the cost of shipping was eliminated. I felt it was wirth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks alot for the information, I really want to tackle this layout boat over the winter so i'll be ready to try it out this summer . I'll check that website out hopefully it's got some good tips. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Buster check out the refuge at www.refugeforums.com andgo to boats/blinds/&gadgets,thenlook for a post by DuckyDave and then follow the line.fella made lay out out of foam and looks and weight caught my eye and I plan on trying my hand at this one with a few changes for my type of huntin. hope this helps ya some. :toofunny:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Buy a used sun fish and paint it black...or what ever the best color would be for the waters that you hunt in. you can find one for pretty cheap and they seem to work pretty good. You can also rig up a seat inside it out of plywood and tie some cattails or any kinda brush on the front if you want and it will dobble as a sneak boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.