Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is a personal choice because all of the major layout boats have good designs but different attributes. Some ride higher then others and some are heavier then others, which makes a difference in both choppy and calm water. I have hunted most of the major brands over the last 30 years and have to agree that John Kalash boat is my preference. I also know John from many years hunting the Canadian side of the Detroit River mostly around Fighting Island. His two-man layout boat has been the standard by which most builders go by for many years despite its weight disadvantage. My second choice would be the Busick Boat or MLB Mag. I recommend you buy your first boat to see how everything works and then build one as a hobby or a great summer project. I love building them because you can incorporate all the features of the best designs. For instance I increase the depth and size of the box for my comfort and lower profile. I also know were the weak points are and use more glass for reinforcement. Make sure you find someone who knows what there doing if you have never been layout shooting. I help newbies 2 or 3 times every year on lake St Clair.

Be careful and have fun :lol:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.