Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving some very serious thought to building a layout boat. I have looked at sveral sets of plans for them and I would like to know if anyone has any experience in this area. I would also like some input on an Idea Ive cooked up. My pops has a bunch of roofing grade styrofoam that is left over from a job. I hought about gluing these together to get my overall thickness and shaping and hollowing form there. I would then fiberglass epoxy it with some resin that is not petro based so it won't eat the foam. my only concern is that it wouldnt ride right. let me know if this sounds foolish or feasable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Many years ago I built a barnegat sneakbox and used it as a layout boat for years. Since then I have been shooting out of a 16' tin boat with less success.
Anyway, if I was going to bother to build a layout boat again, if I had a partner to hunt this way with, I would get an old sunfish sailboat and modify the cockpit so you could layout in it. It is all fiberglass and has a good shape and a wave barrier built into the deck. Paint it solid to match your water color and there you go.
Has anyone modified a sunfish like that?
You could probably pick up a beater for next to nothing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i havent personally modified a sunfish but i have hunted out of a friends up on ky lake and it worked like a charm. it's definately a good way to go

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get the Busick plans for a lake erie style layout. Waterfowl works or something like that sells them. I have made two of these and bought one made by Busick himself. These are in my opinion the best there is. It costs about 400$ in material and alot of time to make one. But theres no satisfaction like being able to shoot divers out of a boat you built.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just orderd some plans off line for a layout boat. The plans are almost identical to what your are talking about. They use high density foam to make the general shape of the boat and fiber glass over it. I beleave there is some wood added in the back for a trolling motor and stability but mostly high density foam. good luck and i will keep you posted on how mine comes out.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
puddleduck1 said:
I just orderd some plans off line for a layout boat. The plans are almost identical to what your are talking about. They use high density foam to make the general shape of the boat and fiber glass over it. I beleave there is some wood added in the back for a trolling motor and stability but mostly high density foam. good luck and i will keep you posted on how mine comes out.
you wouldnt happen to still have that website , would you?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did the sailboat thing, to an old sailboat I was going to throw out.

it worked well last year, I hunted a sheltered bay in Lake Erie with it and stacked lots of ducks on the meat table.

I bought plans for a busick this spring, now its almost ready for the opener.

here is where I ordered them at. http://www.layouthunting.com/

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wow---what a great and simple idea. I thinkI know exactly where I can find an old sunfish. Thanks for a great suggestion.

P26

·
Registered
870 Posts
I also did two Sunfish layout conversions. I spent 400.00 which included a elect motor and battery so I could retrieve my own birds.
No trailer needed, i just put it in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Major Woods said:
I also did two Sunfish layout conversions. I spent 400.00 which included a elect motor and battery so I could retrieve my own birds.
No trailer needed, i just put it in the back of my truck.
Thats really sharp, how much does it weigh, and how rough of water can it handle? :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts