0-54985.96%
5-10610.53%
10-1500.00%
20+23.51%

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have only been lucky enough to get one leg band over 12 years of waterfowling. Got it off a big canada honker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've only two. Both were from greenheads. One on reelfoot lake and one on west sandy bottom, both in tennessee. :cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm married, so I'm sporting leg bands of my own. Maybe they are leg irons?

·
Registered
629 Posts
first year by myself i got two bands from one greenhead and one of the bands was a $100 reward band needless to say i was a little bit happy and me and my buddy ended up shooting 6 drakes. great day!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never gotten a band and I've been hunting for 8 years now. But you know what they say...good things come to those who wait! :yes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
:hammering: i must say if i stopped hunting tomarrow i'd still treasure the bands that i've acquired. I don't know why but theres somthing special about them. Kinda like someone with a tattoo, thy end up wanting another after the first one. No i don't want a tatoo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats what is really interesting is the background that comes with the info from the band. My first one flew from minnisota in two days to reelfoot lake. the second flew from new york to west sandy bottom in one day. Man they can really cover some ground quick :hammering: [/b]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how long have you guys that have 20+ bands been hunting?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not so much how long you have been hunting, but WHERE you hunt. I have been hunting for 23 years, and I have 6 bands. I shot my first band about 10 years ago...then two weekends ago I shot 5 bands in two days. They obviously did some banding around where I hunt and I laid into them (I shot three geese from one group...all banded. Obviously a family). But in the last two weeks...nothing. So I consider myself in the right place at the right time, and lucky enough to pull out a threesome when it counted. Still, I wear my bands with pride and remember each fondly everytime I put my lanyard on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been huntin' honkers for 28 years and have collected 21 goose bands, 2 neck collars and a couple of mallard bands. Most of the bands came in the years where only 1 bird per day was allowed and as time goes on they are gettin' harder to come by. We kill way more geese now and rarely get any bling! :smile:

Good luck and hope we all add some jewelry to the necklace!! :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just recently got my first band on a goose when I bought my ghg full bodies :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Most banding is done in the same locations every year. And by the same token most banded birds taken are usually in the same area ( in general ) every year. Thats my opinion. I've notice that certian blinds will consistantly take more bands than others also. Has anyone else noticed this. Key word MOST, not all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
True Winchester, most of the bands I collected came from 2 areas with an exception of a couple migrators being in the wrong place at the wrong time! :cool:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have gotten three two from black ducks and one off a canada goose. My hunting partner got a green leg band two years ago that they paid him $100. American for, he said it was the best duck he'd ever eatten.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
texan68 said:
how long have you guys that have 20+ bands been hunting?
I have only been hunting for 28+ years and have 20-30 bands and 4 collars. The weird thing with me is when I find a spot with 1 banded bird there always seems to be alot more in the area. In 1 weekend I shot 6 greenheads all banded. As for the collars I got all of them on snow geese and one had 2 on him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts