Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the reason why bird hunters are not allowed the 1/2 hour after sunset that all other hunters are now given?

It doesn't make much sense that those of us out hunting open water without the shade of trees have to end our day 1/2 hour after sunset when we can begin 1/2 hour before.

This is a regulation I would love to see changed.

·
Registered
928 Posts
What I've been told is that in the half hour before sunrise, people are obviously just starting to fill thier limit and a mistake in identification due to low light will most lkely not put them over their limit for a particular species. The opposite is true for the half hour after sunset. Misidentification is more likely to put someone over the bag limit late in the day after they have been hunting for a while.

What I've heard.

·
Registered
280 Posts
the reason for the end of shooting hours a half hour before sunset is to give the hunters a half hour chance to chase any cripples down and also to still give the birds some time to get to fields to feed one more time before they go back to the roost at night. i guess their reasoning is to give the birds a rest from all the hunting pressure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wasn't that long ago that deer hunting with firearms ended at sunset. I know why it was done in the past and welcomed the law change but wonder why the same can't be done for duck hunting.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
check this out you yungins......for a couple seasons the government actually changed legal start hours to SUNRISE.....it was extremely frustrating to sit in a blind watching birds land and you could not shoot.....then the faucet shut down just when legal time hit!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it set this way so that the ducks arent being blasted while trying to get into their roosting spots. I think this helps morning hunts...but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i hunted quite a few all dayers in washington and right at sunset they started pooring in so fast they would almost land in our boat. no joke, i could almost hit them with an oar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts