Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need some new topics on here. You guys must be training I know I am. So lets swap tips, stories, problems, whatever we have. Who knows maybe we'll all have a bunch of FT dogs by next hunting season.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Here's a tip:
Be Persistant. It seems to me that when I'm training my dog. I can go over something repeatedly and then finally what I'm working on just clicks. She acts like I'm crazy for even trying to teach her such a basic concept, because all the sudden that light bulb clicks upstairs.
While being persistant keep your patience because eventually your dog will "get it." Your frustration will just elongate the process.

Thanks bruce I was waiting for some chat in this forum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's a tip for introducing you pup to bird scent if you don't have access to live birds.

When you pluck your birds save a handfull of feathers and place them in a plastic ziplok bag with a little water mixed in. Next get a couple of tennis balls and place them in the bag with the feathers. After a couple days take them out and play fetch with your pup. Also you can go to walmart and buy some cheep sweat bands , put them in the bag and then place them around your bumpers to teach your older dogs to hunt for scent in heavy cover.

Hope this will help someone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good ideas guys. Here is one for everyone that may have an older dog and a younger dog.
I recently was having a problem with concentration on multiple marks with my young CML Kobie, it was not a memory problem just a concentration problem. I brought my old YFL along ( which I sometimes do) I sat the young dog down and went through the drill with my old dog. I did not let the young dog participate untill I went through the drill twice with my old dog. When I started with Kobie again it was like someone turned the light switch back on. I had to think about that one awhile but the young dog is so competitive I think he turns it up a notch when he has to sit on the sidelines.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is my weimaraner's first year hunting. She does well pointing and working in a zig-zag pattern, but I just can't get her to understand that when I shoot the birds down, she needs to go get them for me :help:
Any suggestions on retreiver training?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does she retrieve? Do you work on retrieves? If she does then a dummy launcher would be a good tool for you to use, good association. If she is not an eager retriever then you may have to go to force fetch training first and then the progression to dummy launcher. Hope that helps, there are also plenty of good books and DVDs that will help in the process.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
big_country
My shorthair was the same way for a while. She is still not a finished retriever at all, so I chose to FF. But before you start FF try throwing a bumper around and get her all wound up about retrieving. Then throw a pheasant wing for her to retrieve. Act the same as you did with the bumper. Gradually move to full sized birds, and maybe start with quail. This worked for me to get her retrieving engine fired up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Before any of us offer up advice to a new trainer let me just say this ; as much as every person is an individual so are dogs . What may come just as natural as can be to one dog may be a bit of a struggle for another. Or the other way around. For example , I'm training 2 pups now , 1 male 1 female. The male loves to retrieve and has a genuine desire to please, the female doesn't like to retrieve nearly as much as the male but is so much more 'birdy' than the male. I mean , when I release quail she is all over those birds. Further more, she will tear up our shrubs trying to find sparrows that have landed in them. SHE LOVES LIVE BIRDS ! But not an overly enthusiastic retriever. We're working through that and it is coming along wonderfully.

So... Like it or not ,a degree of your training regimen is going to have to be by trial and error. Luckily, labs are very forgiving students. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Here is a tip for starting a young retriever.
When starting retriever training, don't be so worried about the dog releasing the object right when it gets back to you. When the dog returns with the fetch object in its mouth, praise the dog up real good. Don't immediately reach for the object in the dogs mouth. When the dog drops the object stop the praise. This teaches the dog that having the object in its mouth is a good thing. If you always grab for it and the dog just drops it all the time it can lead to sloppy retrieves in the future.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I dont have any tips because I am green :mrgreen: , but I will tell you about my progress and the method. My Chessie is almost 18 weeks now and seems to be understanding the training gig. I have been following Robert Milner's program verbatum in "Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter." We are on Lesson 16. The results thus far have been encouraging, but I won't fool myself into saying that it is easy. In fact it is alot of hard work, and I only work him 10 to 15 minutes per day coupled with at least a half hour walk at heel. I figure I have around 2.5 to 3 weeks of B.O. left(formally anyway). Our routine this week goes as follows:
2-3 "fun" dummies.
Heel around for approx. 2 minutes with sits and intermittent taps with heeling stick.
Then I have him sit/stay and walk away to the end of my 25' lead. After that I "here" him in with a light pull and whistle tweet. Repeat 10 to 12 times.
2-3 "fun" dummies and lesson over.
During all lessons, walks, and retrieves he is on pinch collar and lead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are so many great books and DVDs out there it's hard to know what to pick from what I can gather alot of the pro trainers favor Smartwork and 10 minute retriever. When you bring up guys like Wolters, Gun Dog and Water Dog, I will just say they are less than enthusiastic, perhaps outdated. Any others we can throw in the mix here? What and Why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.