Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mustang - camo auto inflatable pfd or the manual?
sospenders - camo auto inflatable pfd or the manual?
the reason I ask about the auto's vs the manual does the auto inflate during rain or getting wet in a boat? your thoughts please and experiences,
thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I cannot speak to performance of auto vs manual, but I looked at the sospenders and cabela's brand recently. I believe in many instances they may be good for people so I am hesitant to say they're no good for hunting. All the same, I tried them on a few times with gear and guns and I personally feel they hinder my ability to shoulder a gun. Either way, it is a mechanical system, and with that comes the potential for failure. I, like you didn't want to have wet weather or a wet boat cause inflation (though I imagine it would take submersion for it to inflate) - and decided that for the money, a mesh shouldered PFD is more reliable and does not hinder my ability to shoulder a gun any more so than the fat collar of an inflatable PFD.
-Erik

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the Cabelas self inflating vest and it isn't bad. The more layers you where, the more you notice it, but that is the price of being warm and safe. I wear it to and from my spots, so it doesn't hinder hunting and it didn't take long to get used to.

I have worn it in the rain and it has not inflated, but did leave it in the boat once by mistake, it rained and you can guess the rest. If it lies in a puddle of water it will inflate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would definetly go with the auto-inflating vests. You aren't going to be able to manually deploy your life jacket when you fall out of your boat and knock your head and become unconscious. Mustang makes an auto inflator that uses water pressure to determine when to inflate. Just getting it wet won't deploy it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER said:
I would definetly go with the auto-inflating vests. You aren't going to be able to manually deploy your life jacket when you fall out of your boat and knock your head and become unconscious. Mustang makes an auto inflator that uses water pressure to determine when to inflate. Just getting it wet won't deploy it.
That's why I opted for traditional foam - no question. However, I may have to look into the mustang. If it fits right, thats a good technology.
-Erik

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was looking at the mustang auto inflate w/ HIT @ 259.99 seems steep in price but what really is a life worth?
i think i like this one the best so far just wish they had it in camo
green carbon is all that they offer

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as having a camo life jacket I am divided. If I fall over my boat I want someone to be able to see me right away whether it be early morning or the middle of the day. I think the camo life jackets, though they keep me from going under, don't give me the visibility I want if there is an emergency. I have a bright orange life jacket and when I am set up to hunt I throw it under my decoy bag or wrap it under some burlap. I cannot say that my bright jacket has flared any birds while being concealed and I have that extra bit of safety. On the other hand if I go sea ducking I want a life jacket on all the time in the boat and the bright orange just won't cut it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.