1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
VERY!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Game wardens were checking a boat at the boat launch this seaosn on a lake I hunt and found a live gadwall hen in the guys gun box. It was getting a little serious by the time we left. I doubt his day ended on a good note.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i'll let spoonbills land in the spread and splash around and feed and do their thing.... also when pintails are not yet in season they can land also. and best of all if lonesome mallard hens land in my dekes, they can help out with the calling! :hammer: they can "pretend" to be live decoys! :biggrin:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Very illegal if you are using tame ducks, if you look at it realisticly, when they fly in and you don't shoot them aren't you in fact using live ducks for decoys. Do it all the time but could be viewed by some as the same thing

·
Registered
529 Posts
goosehunter64 said:
If you have to ask that question...you shouldn't be a waterfowl hunter....plain and simple. :mad:
there are such things as new or uninformed duck hunters at least this one asked before he acted
good post orange foot

·
Registered
799 Posts
My grandfather had live decoys back when it was legal, in the 1920's I think. They were pen raised mallards, some were paddlers (clipped wings) and some were flyers. Somehow they were trained to fly out to passing flocks and lead them back in. The trick was to NEVER shoot the leads birds coming back as they were your own tame birds. It's illegal because it's incredibly effective, probably the same thing will happen to all battery powered decoys some day in the near future??

I always let mergansers stay in my spread as long as they want, I don't shoot them because I don't eat them. Same is true for blacks, once the limit is reached (one) might as well let them land and enjoy a swim.

·
Registered
811 Posts
goosehunter64 said:
If you have to ask that question...you shouldn't be a waterfowl hunter....plain and simple. :mad:
I understand your frustration with some of the posts that come up here. I have to disagree with the way that you reacted, even though when I read it I felt the same exact way. I noticed by a later post that he is not new to duck hunting and this information can be found through most regulations and/or local G.W.'s. However, I also believe that people should be able to post their questions without fear of repercussion. A lot of people are more comfortable asking questions on here than they would be talking on the phone with authorities, even though it is better to hear it from the "horses mouth". You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it but look at the way it came across to someone asking a question that they don't know the answer to.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
ncduckkiller said:
goosehunter64 said:
I understand your frustration with some of the posts that come up here. I have to disagree with the way that you reacted, even though when I read it I felt the same exact way. I noticed by a later post that he is not new to duck hunting and this information can be found through most regulations and/or local G.W.'s. However, I also believe that people should be able to post their questions without fear of repercussion. A lot of people are more comfortable asking questions on here than they would be talking on the phone with authorities, even though it is better to hear it from the "horses mouth". You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it but look at the way it came across to someone asking a question that they don't know the answer to.
I respect your opinoin as well. I did look at it from a few different points of view before posting my response.
I was even wondering if he meant that if live ducks lit with his decoys......could you use those as decoys....but he never did make that claim. Now....if he had been hunting for sometime now...and as La. is steeped in waterfowling history.......one coming from there, should know. They've been
banned since the late 20's and 30's.
Either that...or some very ignorant hunters of the law...and don't care if the break them. Heck, where I grew up....I kinda knew...and if I didn't know...I heard about it or seen it in a book. This is just a plain and simple disregard for the law. I'm sure some of the people that he hunts with...knew the law....or just didn't care. He couldn't be hunting with 5 yr olds???
I still stand by my first statement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts