Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
There are those guys who leave their decoys attached to the long lines, maybe that works for them, but for me, it made for a big tangled mess in the boat. It seemed to always happen when it was late, cold and the wind was blowing. Now I use 5in net snaps, with 30in of line going to my decoys. I unsnap the decoys from my long lines and store them, no more tangles. I have a 5 gal can my lines go in, I divide my lines with a round peace of plywood, with a 2in hole cut in the middle for my thump, its cut big because of your gloves. Again no more tangles. When your all done picking up, put the top on your can and your good to go. Now at night I hang my lines from nails from floor joust to dry in my boiler room. I store my lines the same way during the off-season, but in my decoy room. Truthfully this way I've had no tangles.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I basically do what 870 does...I do not keep decoy lines attached to the mother line......although what Weedsnagger does is a popular method, it just has not been MY way....and for every longliner there is some little variation....for example, my decoy line is tangle free instead of tarred line (although the mother is heavy tarred line)....I have never had a problem even though all my friends stick with the tarred stuff for the short line(most importantly I have ALWAYS had my decoy ready when needed since they really do never knot up).........the mother lines I keep on spools you can get at HomeDepot for extension cords.....this is so easy to use in the cold with rubber gloves....as 870 does, I hang from the rafters for drying.....in the off season they are in the cool basement - again hanging from rafter hooks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I watched that episode this weekend. I like Tred alot. I like the fact that he lives by his rules. not rules in a book.

and he wissed in his waders and told us about it.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
ACE,

Don't get me wrong my friend; he's my kind of guy, like you said he plays by his rules. I can totally relate, I get ragged on because I like to hunt alone on extreme days. It seam's there the days I have the most fun. But to wiz in your waders? I did see my father in-law get drunk while jet skiing in a wet suit. He asked me what happy is? He said it was wizzing in a cold wet suit. :yes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey pitboss will your rig work on the current of a large river I attempted using serval types of longline last season with having my dekes getting sucked under. All of my rigs used much lighter main lines.

·
Registered
731 Posts
i use tarred #120 for all my lines...

river current? never tried that. worst i'v been in is a 3mph tide and 35mph wind, no problem those days with getting bird to decoy.

would think if its running hard enough to pull decoys under, your not using a dog right... why bother with droppers then and make your lead bird a larger foam bird?

jeff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.