Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is not looking in the sky for the falling bumper. If I send him out then throw the bumper he runs right under. I need a method to teach him to watch the skies. The only way I can think of is I kneel beside him and hold him so he is looking up, and then I throw the bumper.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
I would recommend a good training book. Holding the dog up to see the bumpers might be too advanced at this stage.

When you toss a bumper for him now...where is he looking when you are about to throw it? Is he looking at you or just looking around?

Are you tossing them straight up in the air or out and away from the dog?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He looks out straight ahead.

Are you tossing them straight up in the air or out and away from the dog?[/quote]

Most of the time they are thrown on about a 45 degree. All I have been doing so far is standing behind him throwing a bumper, and sending him after it. I just noticed that when we are just playing, and I throw a bumper he runs under it. The best way to describe it he just takes off in hopes in lands in front of him.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
Gotcha. Don't stand behind him. Make him sit and stand a few feet ahead of him. Get his attention by saying pup, pup, pup (but he must stay sitting) and as he look at you - toss the bumper. He'll watch it.

Over time this turns into 'marking' the falls but for now just get him to follow it with his eyes.

But I do highly recommend a good book or dvd. It will make your life a lot easier in the long run.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
QuackJunkie,
Put a Check Cord on your pup and heel him to your side. Tell him to "SIT", then throw short marks for him. As he learns to watch "MARK" the throws, you can increase the distance.

You really shouldn't let him get away with breaking (Going before he's sent) as this is a hard habit to reverse.

Get on a proven training program and follow it step by step without skipping to the fun parts and you'll have a fine Gun Dog in 18 to 24 months.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! I am watching game dogs, either I missed it or I have not seen it yet, but he doesn't mention what to do if the dog doesn't follow the bumper.

I always make him sit, mark then he is sent. I just noticed when we are throwing the ball (in which I let him retrieve, no sitting or anything just playing around) he takes off like a bat out of hell. I think he is so used to seeing the bumper hit the ground, he just runs assuming he will see it hit the ground.

I guess it is not that big of deal, as I want him to go only on command.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
You may already be doing this but if not; make sure you separate play (fun) bumpers from working bumpers.

You are right about your dog anticipating when you throw a ball. They figure out about what direction something will go by watching you and what direction your facing.

The marking skills take care of a lot. There's no real benefit to having the dog look up while running. If he's running it should be cause he marked a fall and you sent him.

On fun bumpers though I hear ya - they seem to love haulin butt out there 'free form'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts