Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hard to find a used collar I think. You might try posting a request on http://www.versatiledogs.com. Lots of dog guys on there so you may be able to score on that site.
People never really finish training with a collar. There is always something to polish up on, or the dog could revert back to old ways and need some correction. Whatever you do, if you get a collar, make sure you read about how to use them. Collars are great tools to reinforce known commands, but can be one of your pitfalls if not used correctly. Sorry to preach to you, but it is important to know how/when to use the collar.

·
Registered
247 Posts
:umm: ok went to the collar clinic , and our wharehouse has now got a new item, its the sport dog line of ecollars. how reliable are they. i like the info it says but then , tritronics says similar and have had a problem with one as well as my buddies have had problems with theres. most of them went to dogtra some just dropped it all together. but i need to know if its going to be worth it. to purchase this.........................

so give me info.........please........... :help:

·
Registered
361 Posts
My parents bought me one of the sport dog collars worked great but then it quit working. I called the company and they sent a new one out no questions asked and this was a cheaper model. They made a life long customer here.
Kurt

·
Registered
247 Posts
oooo. got another question.....................
i see there are alot of different distances for collars........25 mile to 1.5 miles or more.............
will a duck dog ever go farther than .75 miles from you , what made you purchase the collar that you did.?
**** dogs and cat dogs.........i may understand distance then you need a tracker. upland game and ducks i dont see it.
went to sportsman wharehouse and the guy tried to sell me a 1.5 mile (if i remember right) and told me i would need it...............the collar was around 400 plus........
just asking before making the final decision.
thanks ................rick

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you are a casual hunter you dont need anything over 1/2 mi---If you plan on testing I would stay in the 3/4 to 1mi range. Dont think distance think of hills,trees,boats, and other things that might block a weaker signal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
My colar probably saved my dogs life this year. He was chasing a cripple and the fog was starting to roll in really thick, I was able to bring him back off the cripple with the help of the colar.

The guy down from us had the same scenario except the dog didn't listen to him, I am not sure if he ever found his dog...

Obedience is a MUST. It is difficult to enforce without the ecolar.

JMO-

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a sport 50s and I am absolutly brutal on all my equipment. I have yet to have a problem with either the reciever or transmitter. I also used mine in saltwater for about a year. IMO I would go with either dogtra or TT. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
well, after reading this post and doing some more checking and comparisons. sport dog is the only one with a (lifetime warranty) or am i missing something, i have a hunting aquaintance that is trying to sellme on the dogtra............... :hammering: decisions , decisions.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Tri Tronics is the best collar hands down as you look back in collar history. DT is garbage, don't even think Innotek. (TRASH).

Sportdog is a newer collar but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I expect to see thier price go up to match tritronics as soon as they become more popular.

JMO- I wouldn't shy away from sportdog, they have waterproof transmitters and a good warranty. So far they seem like a great company...

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.