Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new shotgun. I have been using a Re. 870 Exp. (3" max). My question is, does one really need 3.5" loads for ducks? I don't do much goose or turkey hunting and if I did I figure I can always use Heavy-Shot.

I've been duck hunting for 5 years and have not really thought about the 3.5" option. I've done fairly well with the 870, but I obviously can't compare it to a gun that shoots 3.5", effectiveness, handling, etc.

I'm just curious to know how many duck hunters use 3.5" loads and their opinions about them. If I choose to go the 3.5 route, I'm going to hold out for an SBE or SBEII. I'm want to by one shotgun to last a while, long while.

While I don't believe that anything makes up for practice and patients when it comes to shooting, I just want to know how many actually shoot 3.5" loads and 3" loads, even if their gun might shoot 3.5" loads.

Your opinions on make and models are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Webfoot

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i rarely use a 3.5" shell, though i doubt i'll ever buy another waterfowl shotgun that isn't 3.5" chambered.

reason?? because i do use them from time to time..certain situations do arise when i break out the 3.5" 1550fps BB's. it is nice to be able to have the capability when i do want to use it...and since 3.5" guns aer becoming more popular and don't really cost any more to own than a 3" gun. i say, "why not?"

as for WHAT shotguns..Benelli, Benelli, and Benelli. maybe a Browning or a Winchester....but only if they are out of stock on Benellis and the season is openening the next morning. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I shoot 3" shells out of my mossberg 500 for ducks & geese. On the other hand all of my hunting buddys use 3.5" in ther mossberg 835's. I really can not tell a difference in the amount ducks that are killed between the 2 different size guns. I would have to say I would follow swamp puppy's advise & buy a gun that shoot's 3.5" shells. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I used to be shooting a 20 gauge with 2 3/4 inch. And on a youth hunt i was foldin up duck, just crushin em. If that is enough then im sure 3" will be enough. i kill em now with 12 gauge 3" no problem. I rarely use 3.5 in. also

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Duck - I've clipped a few ducks with a 20ga. certainly not a problem foldin' em up under the right circumstances.

only reason to go with a 3.5" shell is for the ability to deliver a large shot payload at a high velocity. personally, for most of my hunting needs, i use a 2 3/4" shell with 1oz of #2 steel. does me just fine most of the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have never used 3.5" shells for ducks which some of my hunting partners prefer. I only use my 3.5" BPS during early goose season, then put her away for the year and follow up with an Auto-5. Your 870 Express with 3" loads will satisfy all your duck hunting needs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I always use 3.5 shells out of my 870 s.e.m. The more odds i can stack on my side, the better. Probably not needed especially for those poor teal but it is always nice to not have to waste another shell on cripples... just my .02 plus i hunt geese so the 3.5 is a must for me :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I primarily shoot a 3" 20ga. Browning A-5. When I feel the need for speed I use a 2-3/4" 12ga. A-5 Light. I think a lot of hunters use 3.5's because of the need for self abuse because they feel guilty that they are having so much fun!!!! If you gotta shoot em at 40>50yds it's gonna tuff no matter what!!!

If I had to buy a new gun it would be the Benelli. :thumbsup:

Forgive me Mr. Browning.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
As already mentioned, it gives you an option when the gun is 3.5" chambered. But as you already pointed out, there is the Hevi-shot option availble too.

One thing about a heavy payload (3.5") Your body does take a beating, thus go for a gas auto if considering the 3.5" so you can actually handle the shooting.

Remember that fit is #1 priority, please see some of the existing topics that covers this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
3.5"...more versatile :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: If ya want ta go cheap, go Nova....if ya got a little xtra cash, get ya one of them fancy automatic jobs. Winchester, Benelli, Beretta, and Browning all have fine autos. Check out one of them online gun auctions for ballpark prices and pix. Try:

www.gunbroker.com

Y'all have a nice day! :cool:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
3's are more than enough, but just before shooting time is over those geese happen to fly over later in the season. My buddy crippled the geese with 3.5. As quacker stated it's nice to have the option. Last year I bought an auto and a pump both with 3.5.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3 1/2 chamber....got if you want ...Theiare times when you need it.
anyway it is nice to always have a option
I have a rem 870 31/2
winchester 3"
browning 3"
remington sp10 3 1/2 for duck hunting I alway's take the rem 870. just in case I see a goose .

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Quackers said:
one word with the 3.5 you have the OPTION!!!

OOPS sorry that was 7 :help:
Im w/ him :withstupid:

You dont NEED them.....but it is nice to have the capability :thumbsup:
-Stouff

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well it is going to depend on you alot. I personally am a little sensitive to recoil. The 3.5 was designed by mossberg and at the time was in response to the ban on lead shot. Since steel was the answer at the time, a bigger round was needed, so the 3.5 was developed. With all the heavier than lead rounds out today the 3 in round has come back into vogue.

I personally hunt a lot of geese and turkey and have been very happy with the 3in round.

It is cheaper, just as potent as steel 3.5 and will save your shoulder a trip to the chiropracter at the end of season.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.