Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some help calming down my 1 1/2 yr lab. She gets very whiney when she's excited (seeing new people, going to the training farm, when I blow a duck call). All of these situations are things she likes, but I can't get her to quiet down. Any tips?? The only one I've gotten is to tell her "quiet", then spray her with a mister of water and lemon juice (i just don't want it to affect her eyes of nose). p.s. she's a chocolate

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Do you ensure she's getting the proper amount of exercise daily ?
This is important as Labs are a High Energy dog.

....also, I would omit the lemon juice.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Adam,

Having seen Louka briefly this Saturday I have a couple thoughts, and we can talk about them in detail when we catch up. She is a sweet dog and has a good basis to start from. Here is where I would go with her:

She needs lots of exercise. Get her out for some good exercise at least 3-4 times a week, if not every day.

She needs to be socialized which means she needs to be around lots of people and dogs so that she is comfortable with any dog(s) in any situation. As part of socializing she needs to learn that behaving and obedience apply at all times, not just when you are working on obedience alone in the backyard.

Also, she needs to be ramped up on the obedience. She is good, but to have a dog that can go on a hunt with other dogs and hunters we need to bring her up to the next level on OB. Her barking was an act of defiance, trying to push her will on you. Through obedience she will learn her place, and it is not doing as she pleases.

Like I said, she is a great dog and you have started her out on the right foot. I'll help you get lined out on some stuff to do with her and you should be able to get her tuned right up.

Talk to you tonight.

-Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.