Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bullet
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to get by there this weekend and see what they can offer me. I've been there a few times to shoot sporting clays and stopped to talk to the owners and thought that they were very nice people.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I know it sounds stupid but just keep your eye on the target and your cheek on the gun. I shoot in a mon night skeet league. and shoot a couple hundred clays on sat. And i still have to tell my self to do those things it is getting easier now though.

On the bottom of every winchester AA ammo box is a Membership to either the NSSA or the NSCA. I believe it comes with a free one year subscription to skeet magazine or something. The articles are very good and have good tips each month. Also they have instructors listed videos and other thinks like that.

Also you can look on www.nssa-nsca.com

Good luck and keep your eye on the target.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If my memory serves me correctly GPS is a right handed- left eye dominent shooter that converted over to left handed. I too am left eye dominant and have remained right handed. Very hard thing to overcome. What made me a great hitter in baseball has given me fits in shotgunning and playing pool

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ACEBLDRS
I read plenty of "Sporting Clays" mags and read up on the net, but could use an experienced instructor to let me know exactly what I'm doing wrong. Sometimes you're doing something wrong and you never realize it.

bullet
You're memory is correct. My decision to switch worked out good for me. I feel just as comfortable shooting a gun left as right now.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
your absolutely correct. good luck finding an instructor. Keep us posted on your scores.

btw what is your game(other than ducks) skeet, trap, sproting clays..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ACEBLDRS
I started out on trap about 2 1/2 years ago, then started shooting skeet a 1/2 a year later and liked it more. I thought it would help me with hunting more than trap. Then started sporting about 1 1/2 years ago and liked that the best. But skeet is a lot easier for me to schedule so I think I'll try to do that more this year. I think learning the leads for crossing birds on skeet stations 2-6 will be my goal for this year.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm a right handed shooter. For righty's High 2 is a hard one to pick up, since it comes from your blind side so to speak. I went through a period where i would miss h 2 single a lot. my hold point was right but i was trying to "peek" back at the house and watch it come out like i can do and Low 6. when i did this the target would get past my gun and i would have to go and chase it. More often then not i would pick up my head to chase it and miss.
One day I got so frustrated I just dumped two boxes of shells into my pocket and stood at station 2 and shot 50 strait high houses. Our shooting field is very open minded about letting the shooters practice how they see fit. As long as it is safe and not a lot of shooters. The repitition did me a lot of good. Acasionally i will do this on several houses over the course of a few months.
Now I just find my hold point, glance halfway between it and the house and when i pick it up i start moving the gun and bang. I'm breaking that target right in the middle of the field now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got my 1st kid this year and really havn't gotten out to the gun club like I'd like to. The boy is a litle easier to handle now and I will be getting in more shooting this off season, and hopefully hunting as well. I was looking for an instructor who'd be willing to work with me for a session or two and work on what needs correction from there out, hopefully.My gun club is good with shooting 1 house at a time like you're talking about if its slow as well.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not sure if this is in your area or not

Azusa CA, One of my fellow skeeters knows a guy you might try if this town is near you. he only knows of him, but does not know him personaly.

he is one of the top shooters in the world and owns a gun store in Azusa.

pm me if you are interested in his name and his Ph# and i will send it to you.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
GSPS - I use to live in the Valley, there is a shooting range - Oak Tree Gun Club. Located between Valencia and the resevoire on the south side of hwy 5. No dues or club to join - open to the public. If you want to shoot with the top guys in the nation check out Raahaugees in Norco. They have a giant fair starting June 3 - 4 - 5. Get info at Turners. I went to this last year and it was awesome. I live in Orange County now and took my son for the youth shotgun clinic. His 1st skeet shoot the folowing week he hit 35 out of 50! Tom Knapp from Bennelli is incredible. You can even check them out on the internet. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tstrong
Oaktree is the place I normally shoot at. I have also been to the fair at Raahaugee's in June. I wasn't aware of any clinics or instruction for shooting, but this year I will be looking. Thanks for that tip. But Turners? The Turners in the San Fernando valley has been going downhill for years. That store is definately not geared towards hunting or shotgunning in general. I'd say that store is looking to supply rifle/pistol shooting and fishing now. We need help in the SFV! Cabelas, save us!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's my point, we are very limited when it comes to a hunting store. The wallmart in Los Banos blows Turners away. Socal just isn't geared for hunting. There is a shop in Bakersfield, 2nd amendment sports that has alot of waterfowl gear.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
don't you guys have a new bass pro down there? Or is that in San Diego?

We have a couple pretty good stores here in san jose, Reeds and Mel cottons. but they aint no cabela's

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree that Turners is going downhill. I live in Simi Valley and can't even find steel shot in the middle of duck season?? Pony Express has closed its doors for some time now. I have better luck online anymore. The irony is that online shopping is whats brought these places down.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I try to give the local business's as much as I can. But when they run out in the middle of the season (as u stated) and won't have anymore until next season? Or charge 3 to 4 dollars more for shells, enough is enough. I buy 2 cases in the summer and supply my buddies that shoot with me. It works out to about 4 free box's per case. The price of gas alone this year is going to keep a lot of hunters at home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.