Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 2 jugs of older herco/Hercules powder along with a few bags of sp 10 wads i'm looking for a recipe for the powder and wad in a 2 oz lead load in either fed or rem hulls i only have newer data.I did a web search came up with an 1 5/8 oz load i wanna use it on coyotes.I hope someone got a published recipe ...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I picked up 2 jugs of older herco/Hercules powder along with a few bags of sp 10 wads i'm looking for a recipe for the powder and wad in a 2 oz lead load in either fed or rem hulls i only have newer data.I did a web search came up with an 1 5/8 oz load i wanna use it on coyotes.I hope someone got a published recipe ...
I don’t have the Lyman’s manual in front of me currently, but do you have a copy? I believe they have 10gauge and Herco data

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here’s lead data 800gn (1.83oz)payload:

Load# 170203-9215 Hen House Protection
HULL:
CHEDDITE 10ga. 3.5”
PRIMER: CHED209
PROPELLANT: (ALLIANT) HERCO 39.0 GR.
WAD:
REM SP10 (Use Mica Wad Slick™)
SHOT: LEAD BUCKSHOT #00 Stack 3X5 = 15pellets 800gr.
CRIMP: Fold – 6 point + OS10 over shot.
RESULTS:
PSI 9500 FPS 1300

room with pressure to bump the payload a bit, still under the 2.0oz, but close to 2.0oz. Drop a grain of powder and you’ll be close to what you’re after with 2.0oz.

·
Registered
God, Family, Community, WATERFOWL HUNTING
81 Posts
I concur on what the Doc says and the load data he shared.

The SP10 wad is fairly forgiving on pressures with the slower mag powders like Herco, Blue Dot, Steel, 3N38, Lil-Gun, etc. You can reduce by 10-20%, bump to a true 2oz load and work back up slowly. Should be capable of the 1,250-1,300 FPS range with a 2oz payload. What might matter a bit more than the powder, wad, and payload, in this scenario is the hull you are using. Paper base wad Feds will drop your pressures a little as well, but all of the poly base wads are going to run 200-800 PSI higher on average, so keep that in mind.

What shotgun are you testing these loads with?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I concur on what the Doc says and the load data he shared.

The SP10 wad is fairly forgiving on pressures with the slower mag powders like Herco, Blue Dot, Steel, 3N38, Lil-Gun, etc. You can reduce by 10-20%, bump to a true 2oz load and work back up slowly. Should be capable of the 1,250-1,300 FPS range with a 2oz payload. What might matter a bit more than the powder, wad, and payload, in this scenario is the hull you are using. Paper base wad Feds will drop your pressures a little as well, but all of the poly base wads are going to run 200-800 PSI higher on average, so keep that in mind.

What shotgun are you testing these loads with?
I just seen docs recipe i should of scrolled all the way down before i re[plied to him lol ,i'm using a gold 10 and it'll be a fed hull but i'll probally try it in rem as well and run them thru the chrono.I can't get that primer so i'll sub with a win 209 cause my other primers are all hotter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You’ve got s
I just seen docs recipe i should of scrolled all the way down before i re[plied to him lol ,i'm using a gold 10 and it'll be a fed hull but i'll probally try it in rem as well and run them thru the chrono.I can't get that primer so i'll sub with a win 209 cause my other primers are all hotter.
You’ve got some safety built in then since the G10 is pretty dang strong. The primer won’t make too much of a difference, but the hull type will on pressures. The Ched 209 and Win 209 are pretty much the same and I have never seen a difference between them.

Good luck on your load work, be sure to share how it turns out!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bubba682, BPI has lead BBB and lead T shot. They both make great coyote loads, more range than lead BB shot and way more pellets per shell than number 4 buck.
Thks derby i got lots of lead i just wanted a recipe for the herco and sp 10 wads for lead cause i got the powder and wads pretty cheap so i wanted to save on my other components this year.The guy i got the supplies off was tellin me he loaded a 2 oz lead load for turkey but couldn't find his data for the grains of powder for the herco.So i was hopin someone here might have the recipe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bubba, I know you’re working on the Herco/SP10 load, but if that doesn’t work out and you need to venture a different direction, I have a killer 2-1/2oz ‘yote load using Blue Dot or STEEL that I load using #4 buck that can substitute any lead shot size up to #1 Buck and less. Patterns incredibly from several chokes, but I like the IM .750” constriction out of the G10 with it for 55 yard and in work, choke Light Full (.745”) or Full (.740”) for slightly longer range work. I did a video on it and I loved my patterns. You can always increase the cushion wad height in it and drop to 2oz for higher velocity and easier recoil if desired.

“ ‘Yote Smoker” - 2.5oz Lead Load
Hull: Cheddite 3-1/2” 10ga Mag
Primer: CX2000 (or any standard power #209)
Powder: 42gr (MAX) Blue Dot OR 33gr STEEL (MAX)
Wad: BPD10 OR BPD10 TUFF + .125” Foam or Felt cushion wad
Shot: 2-1/2oz Lead (developed with 52 Pellet Hornady Swaged #4 Buck, sub shot size desired up to #1 Buck)
Buffer: 5cc Precision Reloading Spherical Buffer
Crimp: Roll Crimp (BPI, PR, or other) - 6Pt star crimp reduce powder charge by 0.5gr
Velocity: Approx 1,200 FPS (28” barrel)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bubba, I know you’re working on the Herco/SP10 load, but if that doesn’t work out and you need to venture a different direction, I have a killer 2-1/2oz ‘yote load using Blue Dot or STEEL that I load using #4 buck that can substitute any lead shot size up to #1 Buck and less. Patterns incredibly from several chokes, but I like the IM .750” constriction out of the G10 with it for 55 yard and in work, choke Light Full (.745”) or Full (.740”) for slightly longer range work. I did a video on it and I loved my patterns. You can always increase the cushion wad height in it and drop to 2oz for higher velocity and easier recoil if desired.

“ ‘Yote Smoker” - 2.5oz Lead Load
Hull: Cheddite 3-1/2” 10ga Mag
Primer: CX2000 (or any standard power #209)
Powder: 42gr (MAX) Blue Dot OR 33gr STEEL (MAX)
Wad: BPD10 OR BPD10 TUFF + .125” Foam or Felt cushion wad
Shot: 2-1/2oz Lead (developed with 52 Pellet Hornady Swaged #4 Buck, sub shot size desired up to #1 Buck)
Buffer: 5cc Precision Reloading Spherical Buffer
Crimp: Roll Crimp (BPI, PR, or other) - 6Pt star crimp reduce powder charge by 0.5gr
Velocity: Approx 1,200 FPS (28” barrel)
That would be a yote smoker i thought 2oz was large lol i got all the components but the cheddite hulls there a little hard to get in Canada but i'll check out my sources.I watch alot of you vids i;m goin to check out that one tonight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That would be a yote smoker i thought 2oz was large lol i got all the components but the cheddite hulls there a little hard to get in Canada but i'll check out my sources.I watch alot of you vids i;m goin to check out that one tonight.
Rem or Win hulls will also work. Just start at 38gr with Blue and 29gr with Steel and work up.

Oh cool! Haha, thanks for watching. Let me know what you think or if you have questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lyman 2nd edition. These were the only recipes I could find using herco powder, hope it helps.
Menu Font

Computer keyboard Mouse Input device Font Gas

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thxs man lol i think i double posted oh well i dropped the cheddite recipe it was to expensive to order new componants right now so this definitely helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts