Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm not sure on what the US - CA customs would say about shipping feathers.... of either ducks or upland birds. I know you can not buy any waterfowl as it is against the law here in the states. But I am not sure about the feathers of a duck if there is an exemption.

Maybe it would be best if this shipping stayed in CA to avoid any possible breaking of the laws. That or double check the laws for all concerned so nobody gets in trouble.

BTW, welcome to DHC :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I get this reply everytime I post this on a site. The answer is, no it's not illegal. All game birds feathers are legal to sell in both the USA and Canada (quail, chukar, partridge, grouse). You can check most fly tying shops and websites and they offer full skins of pheasant, quail, grouse etc, but usually at great cost...That's the reaosn I go directly to hunters, it's cheaper!.
As for waterfowl feathers, the USFW website states that feathers off ducks and geese may be sold for the purpose of making fishing flies, pillows, and matteresses. Since I use them for making flies, it's legal.
Waterfowl feathers are not permitted in arts or crafts in either the USA or Canada. Also feathers of other birds (blue jays, cardinals, sparrows etc) are illegal to have in your possesion in the USA. Here in Canada they are illegal only if sold, or so that's what the Canadian wildlife service told me when I emailed them.
But you didn't know you were doing something illegal by bringing home a blue jay feather!

Glad to find a good duck hunting site! I live in a town surrounded by marshland, so I do alot of duck goose and snipe hunting. Also have alot of ruffed grouse. The season is over for everything but snowshoe hare here in Nova scotia, but fishing is around the corner!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Wish I could help ya, but to ship a couple mallard capes to ya would probably be cheaper just for you to buy it up there. I tie LOTS of flies every year and usually a couple mallard capes and a couple pheasants will do the trick.

I can't believe that some guys pay like $12 for a pheasant cape. wish you lived closer I would just give you a bunch for beer or something.

There has to be someone local there that shoots a mess of roosters and ducks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested in a mallard cape. I use alot of mallard for wings on my dry flies. I got one mallard this year but plucked him instead of skinning him out.
I don't know if it's cheaper for me to buy mallard here. A package containing about 25 feathers is 2.50 or so. And they only sell the flank feathers, not the burgandy colored feathers at the front.
Let me know if you'd like to ship me one, I could send you enough for a case of beer and the cost of shipping.
Give me an email [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't find a link to the USFW website, but here's one from the state of N.Y. Since migratory birds are a federal issue, the laws are the same for the whole country.(and Canada for that matter!

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs ... html#2.30o

It should come up to the section where it says you can sell the feathers for making flies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.