Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me some information on the browning a-500r, is it reliable or is it something i should stay clear of

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to hunt with a an A-500 (recoil op) it was a good gun. It never jammed, it was mechanically simplistic. The only problem was that after about 8 years of shooting size 2 and bb shot out of it with a full choke the vent rib started to seperate from the barrel. I now know that steel shot is not recomended with a full choke, so it was my fault. Browning only made this gun for about 2 years along with thier a-500 G. The R model is a better gun then the g (gas). At any rate neither one is or ever was considered premium, as the gold hunter took over and was an improvment over both. My advice, buy it, it should preform well - don't pay over 275.00

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have an A-500 3" Mag. Bought it in 94 and has shot hundreds and hundreds of shells. Never once did it malfunction. I have to admit I didn't like taking it duck hunting. I hated to see such a nice gun be abused. Was always worrying about the scratches, water and mud. I shoot a mosbberg for duck and geese and beat the crap out of it. I don't worry when it's pouring rain or it ends up in the mud. I think the Brownings and Bennelli's of the world are probably the best guns out there. They come with a price tag but you get what you pay for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts