Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
A new Mossberg 935 in Black sells for $399 at ***** Sporting goods. You can't find a better workhorse gun out there. Takes a licking and shoots great.

·
Registered
696 Posts
thats a toughy, i see one guy has mentioned the mossberg, it is a very reliable gun, but is only meant for heavy waterfowl and turkey loads, and doesnt cycle light loads reliably, therefore, i wouldnt go with that, i dont know of many autos that are good guns and under 400 bucks, unless you wanted to buy one used, id look for an 11-87 magnum or supermagnum

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. i checked the Traditions and they look like a good gun but looks can be deceiving, quality is very cheap. i have the Mossberg 500 (20 ga.) and 835 that i use to turkey hunt with.While checking around the local gun shops, i came across a used REM 11-87, 3" in very good shape for $525, aquired the extra $125 (from my wife who was p.o. but gave it to me anyway) and purchesed it. Can't wait to shoot it.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
16 Posts
You may also consider the Beretta ES 100 ("Pintail"). I think that it sells for $ 400 -450 in the camo version. I have two (one wood & one camo) and love them.

Regards

Leo

·
Registered
14 Posts
About 2 1/2 years ago I bought the Charles Daly Field semi. It won't take a 3 1/2" shell, but that really hasn't been a problem for me. Anyway, I've put about 3 cases of shells through it and I've only had it jam on me once. It even continued to fire reliably on a trip to ND with a broken o-ring. There are hundreds of aftermarket chokes for it because it takes RemChoke tubes.

The best news? You can pick one up for about $200. I got mine for $175 because the gun shop couldn't find the original box for it. I've been really happy with my "Chuck D"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wallyworld has Beretta 390s for $499. If you can't swing the extra $100, I suggest that you look for a decent used one in your price range.

I have well over 50k rounds each through 2 Beretta 390s. They are a great semi auto.

Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would choose a gun with 3 in capability. Can't go wrong with an Remington 11-87. Remingtons are cheap and reliable.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
turkmaster04 said:
i came across a used REM 11-87, 3" in very good shape for $525,...and purchesed it.
An excellent choice, turk. You should be very happy with that gun.

To the rest of us: we can stop with the suggestions now...... :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts