Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buying some decoys, as cabelas did not have them when I went. I have decided on buying some of the herters ultimates. I'll buy 6, and I'm now looking into buying another 6 of another species. I don't want Herters or G&H, it is too expensive when I'm already buying herters. I hunt all types of places here in Oklahoma. My main places that I will hunt next year is a fairly large, but shallow lake in the middle of a wheat field, and I've seen all sorts of ducks on it(gadwall, pintail, wigeon, etc.)
Another spot is a large cattail slough no more than 20 yards off of the North Canadian. I've seen wood ducks, shot mallards, shot gadwalls, seen pintails, canvas backs, a few ring necks. These places that I hunt pull in such a variety, I have a hard time deciding what would work best. Right now, I'm looking at GHG for my choice, just because of the good paint schemes, affordability, and durability. I'm sick of my old flambeaus, they don't cut the mustard when it comes to durability. If I ever need to hunt big water, I'll use them, as I have a fairly large spread of them. I don't feel that I will need many decoys, with all of the times I've gotten skunked because of bad spreads, I want to keep the layout fairly small. For the most part, I don't normally see huge numbers of ducks rafted up around my areas, just a lot of small groups. I think that is the way to go. Another thing I was thinking is I may get more than one species. My birthday is just under a week away so I'm sure I'll have a little bit of money to spend. What do you guys think of the oversized mallards? I plan on buying either a 6 or 12 slot decoy bag. I am a changed man and I plan on babying my decoys since I won't be using very many. I'd appreciate any advice. Or, would you reccomend forgetting about the herters all together, and going with all green head gear. I would still plan on babying them. The thing about the herters is, they don't look as detailed, but they are supposed to be the toughest decoy out there. I'm a mess guys, I rely on this forum to do all my thinking lol.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.